• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatisation with InDesign

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, and sorry for bad english, french guy here.

I need to create a phone book with hundreds of names, using a .txt database. The layout model is like this :

City

Name Forename. Job.

Some blabla

Adress

mail                                               phone number

mobile number

The trouble is, I need this process to be automatised as much as it can (each person has or not name, adress, phone number, mail, website... ) and people can but added or removed until the last second before printing.

As I am using a .txt database, each contact has his own text bloc. They're just one under the other, during hundreds of pages, so they are editable just one by one.

So how can I add or remove people and keep my layout good ? (no hole between 2 contacts or 2 contacts one over the other)

I hope I'm understandable !

Thanks for the help.

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tu utilises bien la fusion de données ? Chaque personne dans cette base a bien un nom, adresse, mail, etc ? Il suffit donc que tu crées un seul bloc sur ton fichier, que tu fasses glisser les champs là où tu le souhaites et que tu choisisses « enregistrements multiples ». Ou alors, il y a quelque chose que je ne comprends pas dans la question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oui c'est bien la méthode que j'utilise.

Seulement, lorsque tu valides ton enregistrement multiple, ça créé un nouveau document avec tous tes blocs, et comme il s'agit d'un nouveau document, il n'est plus lié à la base de données, donc si tu édites ta base, ça ne modifie plus le document.

Ce que je cherche, c'est une façon, une fois que le document avec tous les blocs est créé, d'ajouter ou supprimer des blocs à la main et que la mise en page suive sur toutes les pages suivantes, pas de trous entre deux contacts ou deux contacts qui se grimpent dessus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

donc si tu édites ta base, ça ne modifie plus le document.

Absolument…

Ce que je cherche, c'est une façon, une fois que le document avec tous les blocs est créé, d'ajouter ou supprimer des blocs à la main et que la mise en page suive sur toutes les pages suivantes, 

Je ne pense pas que ce soit possible avec la fusion de données. Il faudrait que tu envisages plutôt l'import d'un fichier xml.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merci pour cette piste, je ne suis pas un pro d'InDesign donc pas évident d'apprendre les bonnes techniques rapidement !

Je vais me renseigner sur le xml, merci encore !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should use the data merge option for that work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this is the method I use.
But when you validate your multiple recording, it creates a new document with all your blocks, and as it is a new document, it is no longer linked to the database, so if you edit your database, it doesn't modify the document.
What I'm looking for is a way, once the document with all the blocks is created, to add or remove blocks by hand and the layout follows on all subsequent pages, no gap between two contacts or two contacts one on the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you put the text frame that contains your data fields on the master page, you can create the merged document, and then if you change the content of your data source, you can update the link to the data source, and select Update Content in Data Fields from the fly-out of the Data Merge window, all from the merged file (no need to go back to the original and create a new merged document). I think that's what you're lookin for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be overkill for what you need to do, but: You might look into a third-party plugin solution. They aren't cheap, and they have a high learning curve, but if this is a high-value project for you, the cost may be worth it. There are many out there. I have personal experience with just one from Em Software called InData which I have used to generate complicated 200 page directory listings from well-constructed CSV files, full of automatically-applied formatting and things like blank line suppression when there are missing fields, etc.

Saved me hours and hours of work, and paid for itself the first year I used it, but it was a steep learning curve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the help.

The XML seems to be what I need, I'm gonna look for tutos because it seems pretty complicated to learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines