Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Background color on text

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

For the cover of a magazine I want to place the titles with a semi-tranparant background.

First picture: what I want to achieve (made in illustrrator)

Second picture: what I have so far. I want the black background to be transparant. This background is created by tweaking the underlining options so they appear behind the text (not sure if this is the right trick).

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

One approach would be to use InDesign's Paragraph Shading feature (in the list of each Paragraph Style's menu), but I don't think transparency is supported, only tint levels.

I don't believe there is any solution in which such shading could be integral to the text; ID has no features that allow assigning transparency to only one part of an element. (That is, if the text is 100% solid, any background, under/overlining, border etc. must also be completely solid.)

If it's for a magazine cover w

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

You could use 2 text frames with a black bakground and lower the background opacity of each frame.

Capture d’écran 2023-03-08 à 00.00.02.png

Edit: just to be clear, I wrote “2 frames” because I saw 2 lines of text in your screenshot, but in my example one frame is enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One approach would be to use InDesign's Paragraph Shading feature (in the list of each Paragraph Style's menu), but I don't think transparency is supported, only tint levels.

I don't believe there is any solution in which such shading could be integral to the text; ID has no features that allow assigning transparency to only one part of an element. (That is, if the text is 100% solid, any background, under/overlining, border etc. must also be completely solid.)

If it's for a magazine cover where some manual composition is both expected and a reasonable way to achieve the layout, simply using a shape around the text, such as a series of rectangles of defined height, and assigning them or their layer the desired opacity would be the first approach I can think of. There are other ways to combine text and shapes and levels of opacity, but all are variations on that.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use 2 text frames with a black bakground and lower the background opacity of each frame.

Capture d’écran 2023-03-08 à 00.00.02.png

Edit: just to be clear, I wrote “2 frames” because I saw 2 lines of text in your screenshot, but in my example one frame is enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thx, I'll test boath approaches and see what works best 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines