Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Background PDF export Help

May 28, 2010 May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently installed InDesign CS5 on my 27" iMac i5 and I'm having a problem with exporting files to PDF in the background.  I know that in CS5, pdf export is now done in the background.  Not all the time, but on many occasions when I export to PDF in the background the process freezes.  I check the background tasks manager and the process is stalled, it just sits there with 0% progress and actually freezes all background exporting functions to the point where  when I want to close the document I get an error that says" background tasks in progress can not close document".  Then I have to force quit ID to get rid of the error.  Any help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 172 Replies 172
Adobe Employee ,
May 19, 2011 May 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@macinbytes,

The funny thing is, when customer are unhappy, they somehow find ways to get in touch with Senior VPs in our company, even our CEO! Even calling our receptionist and complaining will sometimes get people escalated to me to resolve their technnical issues. Maybe if you call the receptionist and are very insistent that you speak to someone at the highest levels, you could get a vote in for me.  🙂

Honestly, in my job, I do a LOT of different work, but it all boils down to helping people, which gives me great satisfaction, so your comment here is enough. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Matthew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 20, 2011 May 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great info!

Thank you Matthew!

I created a script which will integrate in InDesign menu,

right under Export option and allow you to enable/disable background export.

Script will simply create or delete DisableAsyncExports.txt from InDesign app folder.

Direct download (ZIP): http://bit.ly/lqfxKa

Copy controlBackgroundExport.jsx to InDesign app folder /Scripts/startup scripts/

--

Marijan (tomaxxi)

http://indisnip.wordpress.com/

http://inditip.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/tomaxxi/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very similar to the "Don't like ALL CAPS in panels?" solution ... Is there a quiet rebel somewhere in the InDesign programming team? If so, can I give my vote to him instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like an InDesign Ninja?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nah, more like the original Tron.

http://www.collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Tron/tron_movie_image__3_.jpg

(If you can recall who he was fighting for ...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a script which will integrate in InDesign menu,

right under Export option and allow you to enable/disable background export.

Surprised, but I have to report that after InDy restart, this script enabled, export succeeded. I will test this some more, and in other machines, to see if the cure persists.

Is the folder to place this script same /Scripts/startup scripts/ in win platform (I assume this should work in both platforms)?

And to former query: no Suitcase, I use FEX. I am quite convinced problem is connected to handling of placed graphics (vector AND pixel) as reimporting often corrects the bug (for a while).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Glad it's working fine.

Once script is installed, you don't have to restart InDesign

when enabling/disabling background export.

--

Marijan (tomaxxi)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to get it to work here on Win 7 64 bit. The menu item is there but it doesn't disable the background export.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bob,

Hmm... Strange... I'm also using Win 7 64-bit

and it's working fine with CS5 and CS5.5...

Maybe it's because Windows UAC...

--

Marijan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried it on my Win 7 32 bit machine and it doesn't work there either. I wonder if something is conflicting with it.

When will you be getting into DC? I'll be there Sunday afternoon.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BobLevine wrote:

I wonder if something is conflicting with it.

Suitcase?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought about that but I just tried it with CS5.5 on my other machine and it doesn't work there either. Hmmmm. Looks I'm going to have track down tomaxxi on Sunday. 🙂

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit more testing. I created the text file manually and the menu item changed to enable background export, but again, clicking it does nothing. Strange.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, when it says "Enable Background Export" then do regular export!

Clicking menu item just create/delete text file from InDesign app folder

--

Marijan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the thing...it doesn't toggle the command on or off and it doesn't write the text file to the folder.

I tried putting the text file there myself and the menu item changes to enable background export. But then clicking it doesn't kill that text file and it doesn't change the menu command.

This on two different machines.

I think I'll check my test machine with CS5.5 and see if that works.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely Win 7 UAC...

It's working fine here and also on Win XP.

I'm arriving tomorrow evening to the DC if everything goes well

--

Marijan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what it is, but I don't recommend turning UAC off in Win 7.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny it's the first thing I turn off - it's so obtrusive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's intrusive in Vista for sure. I don't find it so in Win 7 and I don't recommend turning it off.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 23, 2011 May 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, the PDF export problem persists, foreground exporting enabled. No cure so far. And this time last page, which had no images, linked or otherwise, refused to export. Breaking links to styles in text frames and saving allowed to export. Go figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2011 May 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixx: please start a new thread, your problem is different. Also, I think I asked you some questions that went unanswered, like whether you are using 7.0.4? Does removing your font manager change anything [unlikely I know], etc. (But please answer in a new thread).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2012 Feb 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has something to do with an error regarding the linked files within it.

This happened to me and the only way I fixed it was first by replacing certain enlarged PSD files. That worked for one InDesign project. I assumed that this one PSD was corrupt, but even after updating the PSD to the new version (in a whole separate InDesign project) still didn't work; when making a PDF it would freeze.

THEN, WHILE the PDF was being created, I nudged this PSD file to be slightly smaller and the PDF suddenly went through. From then on, after making this PSD a hair smaller in the InDesign project, I could make PDF's.

Horrible Experience. Glad it finally worked.

I also created all new versions of evey linked file and linked the project to the new version at one earlier step in the process. Didn't help until I tried the above.

ADOBE: please look into this!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2012 Feb 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Luckey:

ADOBE: please look into this!!

At the risk of being repetitive, I just want to remind you that posting in this thread is not an effective way to communicate with Adobe.

The best way is to open a support case with them, at http://adobe.com/go/supportportal.

An alternative, if you can come up with a clear reproducible test case, is fill out http://adobe.com/go/wish and file a bug report, but that interface does not permit attachments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines