• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Baseline shift pushes first line down

Participant ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I lay out academic books with special characters and some have a baseline shift. When certain characters appear in the first line at the top of the text box, the line is pushed  down, so it no longer aligns across the column. In my screenshot, the sharp symbol has to be 12 pt, 4pt baseline shift in order to look right for the editor. The text is 10/12.

I inherited these templates and the last line of the page must sit on a specific guideline, no exceptions. I can't align all to baseline grid because I have very specific space above and below headings and extracts.

I don't use Align to Baseline Grid in the text box, it's set at Ascent. If I change that, the last line will not sit on the guide that the template is very strict about. I've tried other baseline settings.

I understand InDesign doesn't want the character outside of the text box. (It's funny, because if it were an Anchored Object, it could go way outside the text box.)

Is there any solution that doesn't involve changing the template on books that are hundreds of pages, a dozen Master pages, and >100 paragraph styles?

I basically want to click the button that says Allow Special Characters to go Outside the Text Frame!  🙂

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 4.52.53 PM.png

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is hard to check without a piece of your project but did you try to select a text frame and Ctrl+B (Text Frame Options) and some of those options?

Zrzut ekranu 2021-06-03 002848.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your case, the last option "Fixed" should work just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Sunny,

If I do chose Fixed and adjust the "Min" so the 10/12 body text is at the top of the box,adding the sharp doesn't move the line down,

BUT

that also sits headings on the baseline grid and they poke out the top of the box. Text is supposed to start at 5p6 according to the template and specs.

The client has some overly detailed type specs that make things difficult, but this one is on me and InDesign and i shouldn't have to stand on my head to use special characters. I simply cannot put them all in anchored boxes.

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 6.04.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-02 at 6.06.41 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think I'm following you. In that case (to keep "Critical Notes" within a frame) you need to move the paragraph starting with "In the paragraphs below..." to the closet baseline. You can't have both - either there will be no space between "Critical Notes" and text below, or baselines in both columns won't match (as they should when we have plain text).

1.jpg

You can try one more thing: instead of one frame with two columns (as it is on your screen shot) consider making two frames (one for each column). It will be much easier to control them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines