• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bibliotecas CC - Indesign convierte imágenes TIFF en PNG

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tengo una biblioteca con imágenes TIFF en capas.

Si uso esta biblioteca en Indesign, las imágenes TIFF me las convierte en PNG.

¿Esto es normal?

¿Hay alguna forma de que mantenga el formato original del archivo?

gracias

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the problem is consistent; Bridge imports and keeps the file correctly labelled as a TIFF asset – but InDesign (and Illustrator as well) imports the Library asset as a PNG, with or without Bridge.

Although the InDesign Library panel’s tip popup tells me the Library item is a TIFF no matter what app I use to add the asset. The conversion doesn't seem to happen until it is added as a document link via dragging from the Library.

Also, if the TIFF is CMYK it gets converted to RGB (PNGs can’t be CMYK), as well as having its profile stripped. Without a fix TIFFs are pretty much unusable as a library item.

Screen Shot 19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention that InDesign is also reluctant is Exporting to a TIFF file with the regular command.

Many export file formats are available, also 2 in the realm of pixel-based ones. But not a sign of TIFF...

Schermafbeelding 2019-07-16 om 18.07.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A difference might be that linked files just need to be copied, while CC Library assets are chunks of data – not files (anymore or yet).

Seems like if that were the case, PSDs would have the same problem. I can't think of any advantage of TIFF over PSDs when working with InDesign and it does have drawbacks: the dialog you have to deal with on the save as, the need to explicitly check a Save Transparency check box, inability to control layers via ID’s Object Layer Options... The immediate solution would be to resave TIFFs as PSDs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe, I'm seeing the same in CC2018. A TIFF I create in Photoshop with or without transparency gets converted to PNG, and its metadata seems to get stripped. When I place a TIFF from the Library, the 300ppi TIFF with an embedded profile places at 72ppi (but at its original pixel dimensions), and no profile (Document RGB).

I also have no problem with PSD files—they keep their file type, resolution and color profiles.

Seems like yet another reason to avoid TIFF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi together,

the issue should be fixed with InDesign 2020 version 15.0.0.155.

Just tested this with my German version on Windows 10.

Dragged several TIFF images from my "old" CC Library to a page in InDesign and the placed images remained TIFFs in the Links panel. Still, with InDesign CC 2019, CC 2018.1, CC 2017 and below, PNG images are placed.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines