Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Billing a Client

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For the first time I worked as an independent contractor. It was for a newsletter. The newsletter turned out to be 20 pages long.  I worked over 100 hours. I am reluctant to send that many hours, I think they might have sticker shock with my rate.  Can I ask what is the average time spent without being ridiculous or exessive?

I turns out to be 5 hours per page. Is that an exessive amount of time to spend? I need some guidance here.  My goal is to be fair with my pricing.  

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill them. What's the worst thing that will happen?

That said, this should have been discussed up front is the reason why I typically never bill hourly; I almost always bill by the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work slightly differently than Bob...

I estimate the number of hours I think it will take and give the client the estimate. However, I let the client know that this estimate is based on certain expectations from them--final, approved copy (ha!), "x" number of edit proofs, "x" number of designs before additional charges, excessive research time for graphics, etc. That way, I'm covered when I send my invoice that is greater than the original estimate. I do try to estimate realistically and always warn the client when extra time is going to be incurred. 

As far as the OP's original question...

• Do you think you work reasonably fast and efficient--or are you a slow worker (on the computer)? For example, I don't charge the client extra if I'm working on a program that I'm still learning (and my speed is not the same as someone who knows the program).
  • Did the client make lots of changes after each proof? 2-3 proofs would be the norm (for me) before extra charges are incurred. 
  • Did you have to do a lot of excessive creative work in Illustrator or Photoshop? Creating "fancy" graphics in AI or PS usually takes time.

If the job was a fairly basic newsletter, 5 hours per page does sound high--but only you know all the details of the job. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there's always a scope of work discussed along with allowed changes. After that additional charges start to come in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes--two slightly different methods with basically the same result. Just wanted to let the OP know about the client's "oh, by the way"s as I like to call them.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines