• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Black is faded when linking graphic to a PDF

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really need some help ASAP. I need to know why color is being faded when I link a PDF to a graphic in indesign. Don't tell me it's because it's a PDF becaause I've been linking PDF's fine for the last 2 years. I recently started a new indesign project and I thought everything was good until I noticed the PDFS weren't the correct color in indesign. 

Please help me, you'll literally be saving my life.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If for the last two years everything been OK - then somehow your new project is different - or your new PDFs. 

What if you place new PDF into old project - and old PDF into new project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just figured out why I didn't notice till now. It seems to really only be noticable when I use black colors on the PDF. Up till now I haven't used many.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My best guess is you have your preferences set under Appearance of Black to display all blacks accurately. In my opinion this is the besst setting. 100 K is not as dark in print as a rich black (4-color mix) will be. Id your files are intended for screen, the you may want to consider dipalying all blacks as rich black instead, but they will not be as dark when printed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I forgot to pention, this problem is exclusive to PDFs. PNG links don't display the same faded look. Do color settings effect file types differently

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A PDF can have multiple objects with different color modes with or without different color profiles embedded, and your InDesign document’s Color Management Policies would determine whether the PDF’s various profiles are used or ignored—if they are ignored the InDesign profile assignments would be used instead, which would affect the appearance. A PNG can only be RGB.

Also if the PDF incudes transparency, or there is any transparent object on the ID spread, the InDesign Transparency Blend Space would be invoked—if it is set to CMYK out-of-gamut RGB colors would be displayed in the document’s CMYK profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only understood half of these words. Isn't there just a checkbox I can uncheck somewhere to get indesign to use the format of the source link? How do I stop indesign from forcing it's own settings on something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Isn't there just a checkbox I can uncheck somewhere to get indesign to use the format of the source link?

No.

Without seeing the PDF it sounds like it includes out-of-gamut RGB colors, and your page has transparency with the Transparency Blend Space set to CMYK. Try setting your Edit>Transparency Blend Space to RGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your document’s saved Color Management Profiles and Policies might affect the appearance of placed color. Also if there are color objects in the PDF with no profile assignments, the InDesign document’s profile assignments would be used, which could alter the color appearance.

Can you share the PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll see if I can get permission but currently I am unable to do sensetive data in the pdf I'm working in.

But the problem is, when I save it as a PNG and upload it all looks fine. It's only bad when it's a PDF that I'm linking too. Wouldn't color profiles effect all graphics the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines