Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Black mark on In-design tutorial materials. I'm an In-Design tutorial "student"

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I am in the middle of the second chapter of In_Design "Getting to Know In-Design". 

There is this black mark in a text box.  As I've only worked with the software for 2 days now, I have no idea how I made this mark or how to get rid of it.  

The black horizontal mark is under "Starters & Small Plates". I've highlighted it in yellow.

I'm an abosolute beginner.  Please help 🙂 

Thank you, 
Robin 

Robin22469720l5rm_0-1641093214593.png

TOPICS
How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be a letter I on a sepearte text frame or it could be a rectangle frame. Press Escape or choose the selection tool, see if you can click on the object. You can also open the layers panel and select objects from the layer panel.
Welcome to InDesign, it can be a bit tough to get started but it is a software you grow to love 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, select the text frame and have a look at Edit > Edit Story Editor it should appear there and, if so, you can delete it there. If it doesn't appear there then it's not type, it maybe a graphic or somethimg on a Master/Parent page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If it's on the page (entirely likely, since you have a color field background and I suspect a paper/white filled box above it), it should be relatively easy to find it and eliminate it.

• Get your Black Arrow/Selection tool.
  • Choose the Edit>Select All menu command, or use the keyboard shortcut Cmd/Ctrl+A, depending on whether you're on a Mac or Windows system, respectively. That will let you see what frame contains the errant item.
  • Click away from the page at a spot on the clipboard with absolutely nothing on it. That will let you de-select everything.
  • Click on your errant balck mark, press the Delete key and send it to electronic nirvãna.
  • Since it's blocking out the "t" in your layout, it should be at the top of the stacking order and easy to select. If you find you accidentally deleted something else, use your good friend the Edit>Undo menu command to get back, then click on it again and then use the Cmd/Ctrl key to click through the stacking order until you grab that errant black bar and dispatch it without mercy.

Keep this process handy in your bag of tricks as you learn more about InDesign. You'll find it incredibly handy for selecting individual objects within even your most elaborate page layouts and exercising your will over them.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines