• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blank Start Screen

Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

when I start InDesign and try to start a new document I have this mysterouis behavoir. See picture:

Can anyone help me with this problem?

I installed a the updates, even deinstalled and installed InDesign again. Nothing helped.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Gruß Christoph

Windows 10 Pro, 64Bit

InDesign 13.0.1 x64

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goto >> edit >> general settings or press ctrl+k / cmd+k

checked Use Legacy "New Documents" Dialog and press OK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this ever resolved? I am working with InDesign 2017 with a new Dell 5420. The newer InDesigns work fine with that model, Dells that are 5410 and older work fine with InDesign 2017. We got older software that works with only 2017 so we can not update since the other software providers do not support their version of software and don't plan on upgrading. We will be upgrading to the new 5420's to 40+ people and need to find a way to resolve this.

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you manage to install 2017 on a new machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its on our Company images which is needed for our company

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you're running 5-year old software on a new operating system. I'm really not sure what to tell you except that you're pretty much on your own and there is zero chance Adobe will do anything about it.

That out of the way, you can try running it in Windows 7 compatibility mode and make sure that users have all necessary permissions. Start with admin and work your way down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn't have to run it in Compatibility mode since 2017 InDesign works on Windows 10 64 bit and 32 bit so we can get that out of the way. It's not a permissions issue as well. It's doing the same exact thing that the user posted but yet no fix is mentioned when the user posted this back in 2017. Since it seems like I will not get assistance from the community I guess like you said, on my own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jford2282,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. I agree with @BobLevine. However, you may try the following steps and let us know how it goes:

• Try running the app in Safe Mode & Hidden Admin Account?
  • Manually reset preferences by renaming the folders from the following locations:
    - C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe
    - C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Adobe
    Rename InDesign folders to InDesign.old Launch InDesign from the Creative Cloud Desktop app.
    Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings, and InDesign will launch with default settings. This way, all your old settings will be saved in .old folders, and InDesign will recreate new folders with default settings.
  • Rename the CEP folder to CEP.old from the following location:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe
  • If that doesn't help, rename the extensions folder to extensions.old in the following location:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\UXP

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will give that a shot.

Just an FYI: With this Dell 5420 Model 2017 InDesign would not launch at all. The fix was to grab the 2019 InDesign version of the PlugPlugOwl.dll and replace it. 

Doesn't make any sense on why the Dell Model before that 5410 works perfect. Only difference is the Video Card and CPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response but none of those worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying the steps. I'd recommend you to connect with our technical support team. The team here would be able to perform remote troubleshooting and assist you accordingly.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am technical support! But there has been a ticket put in with Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try resetting the prefs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that and didn't work.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Windows 10? There's a new update every 6 months and now of course, you can throw Windows 11 into the mix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being that these laptops/desktops are Company computers they are all the same Version of Windows which is Windows 10 1909. However, I did try the 20H2 version and same response

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't thinking of updating, I was thinking of going backwards and again, I'd try to run it with full admin privileges in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

I get that you're in a difficult position but there's going to be a time you're going to have to give this up anyway. Whatever it is that's forcing your hand needs to be replaced because it's just a matter of time before this annoyance becomes way more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Won't be any time soon being that our third party software provider will not go any further due to the type of licenseing we have with Adobe. Don't know all the details regarding that situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you should find out. What happens when a Windows update kills InDesign 2017 completely?

Whoever that third party is, needs to be replaced, and the sooner the better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not a Windows Update issue. Its a driver issue. Any file reads video drivers?

Got the money to replace them?    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You came looking for advice. I gave you the best I have.

Whoever that third party is obviously doesn't care one bit about you or the money you already spent.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just saying it is not as easy as you think as that third party software is also connected to another software that uses 2014 version of InDesign and InCopy.

I will find a way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't say it was easy. But it's just going to get harder and harder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a follow up on my issue with 2017 InDesign and the Dell 5420's. If anyone else has this issue where 2017 InDesign will crash or get this black screen. Download and install the 32 bit version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case the problem is the video card (incompatible / broken?). The laptop has a GT 520MX which cannot be used for hardware acceleration and does not work with uncertain (be respectful) home page filled with javascripts and executed in a browser window that probably does not test the video card in use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Rodolfo Cingolani,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. I checked on papers your GPU should be compatible as it has 1GB VRAM and 4.5 OpenGL. But it is 11 years old GPU, and on our system requirements page, it is recommended to use 4GB VRAM GPU for optimal performance. However, you may try the following steps:

1.  You may try installing this Driver (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/132841/) for Windows 10 64-Bit. 
  2.  Open the "Nvidia Control Panel."

> Select "Manage 3D Settings" under 3D Settings.
    > Click on the "Program Settings" tab > "select a program to customize" > Illustrator > Select the preferred graphics processor for this program > Integrated/ High Permonce/Global settings. Check one by one in which Illustrator runs fine.

3.  Try the steps shared on this AMD help article (https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-110#faq-Customizing-Graphics-Performance-Preference-for-a-...)

I hope it helps.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines