• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bold Keyboard shortcut incorrect

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I have an issue in Indesign that whenever I type Shift + B, the bold function starts and it does not give me a capital B. I am not pressing ctrl or command. Somehow I must have changed the shortcut and it's driving me crazy. I searched the shortcuts and don't see it anywhere listed. 

In all other apps, I'm getting a capital B when typing the shift + b. So the shortcut is isolated in Indesign. I've searched the type and the text shortcuts, but don't see anything... In the assign new shortcut field, I type in Shift + b and it says it's not been assigned. Then when I type in Shift + Cmd + b, it says it's assigned to bold. Clearly what it says has been assigned is not correct. 

I've restarted and opened on multiple days and it's still doing it.

Can anyone help me? 

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And another screenshot is here of the shortcut found in the set indicates it should be shift + Cmd + b and functioning like this:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What font family is affected?

Is a bold style of that font family installed?

Why do you not work with character styles to apply bold?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is occurring in all font families. Yes, there is a bold option in the fonts I'm typing with. I've tried Arial, Helvetia, and Avenir. I'm not able to get a capital B with any of them. They are all going bold with Shift + b. I don't want it bold. I would like a capital B as in normal typing practice. I appreciate any help you can offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your shortcut set scroll the product area to Text and Tables and re-check the shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not answer, why you do not use character styles for that purpose?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gina, does shift + B input look correct in other applications? It's just InDesign where you're having this problem, correct? If so, you may want to consider resetting your InDesign preferences.

Willi, I appreciate your enthusiasm for best practices in text styling, but I don't think that it's entirely relevant here. Whether or not Gina is using InDesign's text tools in the best way is not the issue in this thread; if you whack Shift + B in a textual context, you should get a letter, and no amount of style-related best-practice adherence should alter that outcome. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much for your willingness to help. Yes, all other applications worked fine for Shift + b to obtain a capital B.  It was only Indesign. I have finally got it to work by simply changing my workspace back to the Essential Classic. I'm guessing the reset something in the background... I have no idea why it just started working again. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willi, this isn't about trying to apply bold, it's aboutr not being able to type an ordinary capital B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines