• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

book file does not update page numbers

Contributor ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my .indb book (consisting of 2 documents) the page numbers display as follows:

1-228
1-200

The second unit remains unchanged even after clicking Update Numbering > Update Page & Section Numbers.

Under Layout > Numbering & Section Options, I have these settings:

numbering.jpeg

I have used these settings in many projects before the current one, and so I would expect the above page numbers to change to

1-228
229-428

However, this time this is not the case. I can't find any other setting that may prevent InDesign from updating these numbers. – Anyone an idea?

InDesign 17.4
macOS 12.6.2

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

When you check your page numbering in the Pages panel, does it have a little downward-pointing arrow above the first page/what should be page 229 in the second publication?

You might want to try repaginating using the Book panel (panel flyaway menu>Book Page Numbering Options... then flyaway menu>Update Numbering>Update All Numbers) or just manually set the second InDesign document to start with the correct page number (Layout>Numbering & Section Options... to open the New Section panel and th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you check your page numbering in the Pages panel, does it have a little downward-pointing arrow above the first page/what should be page 229 in the second publication?

You might want to try repaginating using the Book panel (panel flyaway menu>Book Page Numbering Options... then flyaway menu>Update Numbering>Update All Numbers) or just manually set the second InDesign document to start with the correct page number (Layout>Numbering & Section Options... to open the New Section panel and then force the issue by setting the Start Page Numbering at: edit box to 229).

It's often faster to fix the issue than it is to sleuth the cause of the issue. It may not be as satisfying, but it gets you past the issue. Just sayin' ...

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem resolved, thanks Randy! – In the Pages panel, there indeed was a little downward-pointing arrow above the first page of the second document, and when I right-clicked on it and chose Numbering & Section Options from there (!), I saw that Start Page Numbering at: 1 was selected (as opposed to the setting in my original screenshot, accessed via Layout).

So this is clearly a bug in InDesign in that the info about Numbering & Section Options differs, depending on whether it is accessed via the Pages panel or via the Layout menu. Good to know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One of the little things that'll drive you nuts about the New Section dialog box is that whenever you open/re-open it, it'll automatically default to select the Start New Section radio button. So if you set it right to continue page numbering, checking that you set it right will automatically set it wrong.

I wish I knew that because I was like super smart, but I know that by screwing up that way before. After a few sessions of error, then trial, I got down to the source of the issue and worked my way around it.

Glad I could help,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines