• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Book writing importing Word manuscripts

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm writing a nonfiction book about my family history. I'm about half way done and have written so far in MS Word. I realize now that this can't be my final manuscript as it includes a great number of photos that need to be high resolution. I'm on my 7th chapter with about the same number to go. Fortunately each chapter is a separate document. I'm wondering now if I should import the 7 chapters into Indesign and finish the book there. Or should I write in word without images and import as I'm done with each chapter. My dilemma is the large number of high resolution photos I want in my final book. I understand that if I import my present Word chapters, images will not only be in line with text but will be only thumbnails and also need to be removed before replacing with high resolution images. Are there any tutorials or personal experience advice on how I should proceed? My final book will maybe be 400 pages and 400 photos. I would also like to print a 8.5x11 book. 

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Print , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without doubt, write your MS in Word, noting where images are to be inserted but not including them but keeping the images in a separate folder, Have them optimised roughly for size in Photoshop so the Effective resolution will be around 300PPI when you Place them in InDesign and have them in RGB colour mode.

I suggest you take some training in InDesign before you start the design and produce a couple of practice documents. LinkedIn Learning have some excellent online video tutorials and you can get 30-days free access.

Maybe you'll only be producing a few copies of your family history for family and friends, if so, have a look at https://www.blurb.com and bob books  who offer a reasonable service for short run illustrated books of the kind you describe and offer InDesign templates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an aside...

Word can link to photos/graphics just like InDesign. This keeps the file size down and prevents corruption. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This. Write in Word, prepare for publication in ID. And in general, avoid either embedding or linking images in Word, especially in large numbers. The format is fragile and corrupts easily (and, frankly, was never meant to do anything but 'process words' despite the vast number of image and arty features crammed in over the years).

Use a standard little paragraph format to indicate an image and contain its description and some kind of an index number, but keep them separate until you pull the book together for page layout and publication. You will not be able to import the Word file with embedded images to ID in any way that saves work at that stage, so keep the elements organized and separate for a managed consolidation when the 'manuscript' is done.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Glenn:

I agree with Derek's approach—write in Word, and add a note where images will be inserted. Don't bother to add the images to the Word doc. Also be sure to add inline formatting as you go—bold and italics, if you are using them—to emphasize words. Otherwise, don't worry about the formatting. That's InDesign's job.

As you move to InDesign, you have a decision to make—should this be one long InDesign file, or should you make each chapter a separate InDesign chapter, and pull them together into a book? Based on the length and number of images, I would personally choose to lay this out in InDesign as a series of chapters but I am already comfortable with both InDesign layout and with the InDesign book features. It may feel daunting if you don't get some training on the basics, first. 

Those new to long document publishing sometimes make mistakes with the parent pages. (These pages were traditionally called master pages, but renamed parent pages in InDesign 2022.) Be sure to adding your running heads to the parent pages and be sure to use primary frames, in case you need to change the paper size or margins after you have already started (or nearly completed) the layout.

As you run into additional questions, please feel free to swing back and ask us. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb, Do you offer training, obviously for a fee? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do. Answered my last question on web. Thanks. Will keep posting questions. This is an amazing group with terrific support from all of you professionals. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Glenn:

Yes, I am an Adobe Certified Instructor. My classes (all held online) are listed here: https://www.rockymountaintraining.com. I am also available for one-on-one hourly coaching.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb,

How do I sign up for a one-on-one to discuss your  previous reply about importing chapters? Thanks. 
Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Glenn:

You can use the contact form on my website:

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/contact/

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines