Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Books feature: auto update footnotes accordingly

Contributor ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, OS Catalina, latest ID CC

I am working on a publication that has five chapters so I sectioned them into chapters and collate them via InDesign book function (i.e. New -> Book).

The file client gave me was in Microsoft Word, so I separated each chapter into its own MS Word document to better "place" it into InDesign. However, when I separated the file into 5 MSW documents, MSW autamatically resets footnote numbering.

For example, chapter 1 has 10 footnotes, chapter 2 has 10 footnotes. But when I separated the document, chapter 2's first footnote becomes 1 again, while it should be 11.

Is there a way for InDesign to automate my Book so that it recognizes which footnote comes first and renumber them as well as the footnote references accordingly?

Appreciate any tips!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Create one single InDesign document with one main story for all the chapters and let the text flow from page to page with your footnotes.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes. "1 click, by script!"

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines