• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Border on only two sides?

Contributor ,
May 13, 2010 May 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must admit that I am stumped, and frustrated!  In my newsletter, I have created many paragraph, character, and object styles to quickly apply to my text and graphic elements.  However, I am trying to create a style or combination of styles for my "Pull Quotes" and cannot master one feature.

I would like a stroke on the top and bottom only of the text box, leaving the right and left sides with no stroke.  I am at a complete loss as to how to accomplish this.  In Object Styles, I cannot omit the stroke command for the sides.  In Paragraph Styles, I can only select a "rule above" or "rule below" but not both.  I must admit, the answer may be staring me in the face at this point, but I'm too frustrated to see it.  (I really don't want to have to create separate lines and size and place them each time I include a pull quote!)

ALL help will be appreciated!

The Ubiquitous Information:

ID CS4 v. 6.0.5

Win XP Pro sp3 OS

Thanks!

Susan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Although this is an old post it is still one of the top results on Google so I thought it was worth posting this link to a tutorial...

InDesign CC tutorial: Formatting cells | lynda.com - YouTube

Good Luck

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the rule above/rule below option. C-Opt-J to get the menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but as I said in OP, that only allows me to select one or the other, not both - which is what I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It certainly works and you can do really nice things

http://www.theindesigner.com/blog/episode-49-paragraph-rules-rule

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You most certainly can put a rule at the top and at the bottom of your callout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, because my pull quote has two paragraphs (the quote and then the name/title), which means I will still have to create these rules each time I create a pull quote.

Is there no way to do this through a "border" or "stroke" option?

Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you put them into a table cell. Then you can turn off the left and right cell and set the stroke to 0 pt or none

Then set the top and bottom cell stroke to be whatever stroke weight you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You select the rule above and rule below separately. It's certainly confusing but it works for both.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add a paragraph rule above to your paragrah style for the quote and a rule below to your style for the name/title.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FergyMac wrote:

Add a paragraph rule above to your paragrah style for the quote and a rule below to your style for the name/title.

And make the name style the "next style" for the quote style. If you are copy/pasting the text from the body, you can select the two paragraphs and right-click the quote style inthe panel, then select "apply style and next style."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or create a nested style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although this is an old post it is still one of the top results on Google so I thought it was worth posting this link to a tutorial...

InDesign CC tutorial: Formatting cells | lynda.com - YouTube

Good Luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the recent CC versions of ID I'm not sure there's a reason to use a table anymore. The new Paragraph Border feature would be easier and can handle multiple paragraph callouts.

Screen Shot 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just for the record (here in 2021 · note to the past) — the work·around is to copy·paste a line an the top and bottom of the text field and assign a paragraph style to the line (same way as you would any text). 

If you — in your indesign layout / page — 'always' have a line between different text groups, but not always start with the same paragraph style (but have different paragraph styles at the top and/or bottom depending on the content) the 'line trick' does a nice job. Especiall handy when the text field is defined to adjust it's size to the content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines