• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

bring in a CMYK transparent object file into InDesign?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am making a poster for print in InDesign. I have edited a photograph in Photoshop. It has a transparent background. What file format do I use to get into InDesign? I have discovered .PNGs only make RGB files. Please and thank you.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

PSD or TIFF would be for complete raster images.

If your image has vector masks, vector shapes or live text layers - then save as a Photoshop PDF and enable editing capabilities when saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Enabling editing capabilities would be for pdf only to allow to open the pdf in Photoshop again to make further edits.

When saving the TIFF check the > Save Transparency box on the bottom left.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSD or TIFF would be for complete raster images.

If your image has vector masks, vector shapes or live text layers - then save as a Photoshop PDF and enable editing capabilities when saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Eugene! I tried everything but a TIFF. I am new and appreciate your time to respond. I tried the enabled editing capabilities but could not get the background transpartcy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enabling editing capabilities would be for pdf only to allow to open the pdf in Photoshop again to make further edits.

When saving the TIFF check the > Save Transparency box on the bottom left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if your document is intended for print, leave your images in RGB. Conversion to CMYK will be done when you will export the file to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, thank you. When I went to export my work from InDesign, it converted it into RGB for my PDf. I searched the EXPORT windows and found the spot to turn it off, converting it to RGB. I feel they need to have that on the first screen of the EXPORT window. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is wrong with using a native Photoshop (.psd) file?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

f you have text, pixels and vectors combined, psd will handover only pixels, with pdf you get vectors as vector, text as text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that, but it wasn't mentioned by the OP and if they were trying a PNG, it couldn't have been a major issue.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign will rasterise text, vectors from a psd to the resolution of the Photoshop file.

Pdf it will not do that.

If you're printingdirectly from Photoshop psd or tiff is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This project was of a tree. I edited out all spaces between the leaves. I did it all in photoshop RAW, and for some reason, I never thought to import it as a .PSD file. I will in the future. I lost all the work I had done on it. I want to use this school project in my college portfolio, and I will use my .PSW file. Thank you for posting this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines