Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Broken links to excel

New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have a document that has several links to excel. Some of these links were broken.

Any ideas why a link would give me the red triangle error and not allow me to either update the current link or even relink the table to excel. Is there any way to fix this red triangle error (i have attached screenshot). The excel file has not been moved to another location.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off the smart sync feature in OneDrive so the files are fully sync'ed to your hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Thanks so much! I am not 100% sure what you mean. Do you mean that the file needs to have a green tick next to it on onedrive? I can't seem to find the smart sync feature you are referring to.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what it means. In File Explorer, right-click the folder containing this project and choose "Always keep on this device."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to Bob's reply, assume you still have spreadsheet linking set in Preferences > File Handling? Also, what happens if you simply re-link the Excel file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diane, thanks for the reply. When i re-link the file it gives me the same error. Could a change of tab name potentially be causing this? Yes spreadsheet linking is still set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it absolutely would cause an error. Once you place the file, you're pretty much committed to not changing anything but the content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok great thank you. I noted that even if i relink the table to the updated tab name, it still doesnt allow me to link and i have to replace the entire table. No way around this hey?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to update the table if you've made no structural changes to the Excel file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with Bob, it should update. What version of ID, OS are you using?

Also, how about a quick test with creating a new ID file and linking a ss in that?

Have you exported your file to .idml and re-opened it? This can clean up all kinds of "junk."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have created the idml file and tried to relink the table but still giving me the same error. OS is windows 10. InDesign version 17.2.1. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines