Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bug - printing of variable fonts from InDesign 16.0.1 MacOS

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a variable font which don’t work as well in Adobe Indesign 16.0.1 on MacOS then printed on paper.

All combinations of software and printers used for tests:

(1) Software: 

- MacOS 10.15.6

- Adobe InDesign 16.0.1

Printer:

- Xerox Phaser 7100

- OKI C612-410558

(2) Software: 

- MacOS 10.14.6

- Adobe InDesign 16.0.1

Printer:

- Xerox Phaser 3260

- HP Neverstop Laser MFP 1200w

(3) Software: 

- MacOS 10.14.6

- Adobe InDesign 16.0.1

Printer:

- HP P2015dn

(4) Software: 

- Windows10

- Adobe InDesign 16.0.1

Printer:

- HP P2015dn

The main is first combination (1): the template designed in Adobe InDesign not print all font variations used there, as example weights 350 and 380 replaced to another font (it looks strange with broken side bearing in different places). Our variable font have weights from 100 to 950 defined as instances at 100, 200, 300, 400, 450, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 950).

If firstly save InDesign document to PDF and after print from PDF, then all fonts prints correctly.

As I think this situation happens only with old printers, because the second combination (2) of hardware and software prints correct directly from InDesign.

The (3) and (4) interesting, because printing on HP P2015dn from different operating systems produced different results. Windows10+HP print my template correctly from InDesign, but MacOS+HP broke all variable font variation exclude the first in the beginning of document.

TOPICS
Bug , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Many of these variable fonts have the word "Concept" which means, I'm advised, that there might be some glitches in terms of how PDF is generated when these fonts are referenced, especially if you try to manipulate the PDF files after they are created. If you are going to try using these fonts, make sure you do so with the latest version of InDesign (i.e., nothing prior to 16.0).

In short, if the document is mission critical consider changing to a non-concept font.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of these variable fonts have the word "Concept" which means, I'm advised, that there might be some glitches in terms of how PDF is generated when these fonts are referenced, especially if you try to manipulate the PDF files after they are created. If you are going to try using these fonts, make sure you do so with the latest version of InDesign (i.e., nothing prior to 16.0).

In short, if the document is mission critical consider changing to a non-concept font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with a Helvetica variable font (not concept font) that I purchased from Fonts.com and I too have a Xerox Phaser 7800 that prints like this. I'm currently on InDesign latest (v. 17.2) so I don't think this is the issue. It is fine in a pdf and can print from there but does not print out correctly on printer directly from InDesign. 

Are there any other solutions available? I would rather print out from inDesign than have to make a pdf, print and adding that extra step in the middle. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's best to print from a PDF created from InDesign rather than printing directly from InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines