• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bug Report: Menu Customization

Engaged ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I clicked the link for Menu Customization (menu bar at top while in Essentials Classic view). The screen (attached) showed up, but nothing is clickable, including OK and Cancel. I can't close the box. I'm afraid I'm going to have to close InDesign, and lose all my work up to this point.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

I found the answer to getting the screen back to normal after everything disappears is Window | Arrange | Consolidate All Windows. I guess for some unknown (to me) reason the document tab takes over pretty much the whole screen, hiding the toolbars and stuff behind it. I have not been able to duplicate the Menu Customization problem, so I guess we can put that one to bed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where exactly did a link show up to open Menu Customization? Usually this would be in the “Edit Menu” at the bottom. I hope you have saved before. Hitting ESC doesn’t work either?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please provide a complete screenshot that shows that link? I cannot see that link in the Essential Classic Workspace but I’m on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I can't  remember how or why I found it.

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm - if it won't go away even with the Esc key as mentioned earlier

You can try Force Quit (Mac) or Task Manager and quit the program (on Windows)

This should invoke the recovery of the document which would be auto saved in the recovery folder.

You shouldn't lose too much work, if any - when you reopen InDesign you should be prompted to recover the document.

If not - then you might be at a loss. It's a risk but I'd take that risk if nothing else is working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys --

I closed everything and restarted my computer. I didn't lose anything important. I was beyond frustrated with InDesign at that time because I was doing a training program, and the instructor was using an older version of the software that looked nothing like the version I have. I've got  it mostly under control now, but now and then everything goes away except for the File  / Edit/ Layout / Type... menu. I have no idea what causes that to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your preferences:

Windows: Start InDesign, and then press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.
macOS: While pressing Shift+Option+Command+Control, start InDesign. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.
A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

---

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found the answer to getting the screen back to normal after everything disappears is Window | Arrange | Consolidate All Windows. I guess for some unknown (to me) reason the document tab takes over pretty much the whole screen, hiding the toolbars and stuff behind it. I have not been able to duplicate the Menu Customization problem, so I guess we can put that one to bed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines