Exit

Building molino size set up

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Molino Size / Print production ]

Hi There,
I need to create a building molino with 17m x 8.5m (17000mm x 8500mm) size.
The design is ready in smaller document size.
How can I be sure I use a correct scale in my document and its printable in the large size?

Hope here someone can help with a simple answear.

Thanks , Mark

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Thank you, this is what I exactly did.
Problem solved. I just wanted to try support community.

Maybe next time i can get exact help in another problem. Maybe this was too specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Call the printer is the best advice I can give you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this is what I exactly did.
Problem solved. I just wanted to try support community.

Maybe next time i can get exact help in another problem. Maybe this was too specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't expect specific answers from people not involved in your workflow. 

If you were creating something for a general destination - then we could help you - otherwise, you can get wrong advice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally speaking, and having done many, many large format projects over time, export to PDF using a proportional layout will produce perfect results. It does not matter what scaling you use if all elements are vector (.ai files, fonts and InDesign graphics). You can use one pica per imch, or one inch per foot, and even very large output will be razor-sharp.

If you are including raster graphics, you have to work backwards to make sure they are of a resolution sufficient to produce an optimal output. This is an "ask the printer" thing, usually, but most large scale output works at very coarse line screens (30 to 60 is common), so it's not too hard to, for example, include a 2400-pixel-wide image that will end up at 40 inches across on the output, with acceptable results.

I've used one pica per output inch for many, many projects without problems, as long as that rule about raster images is observed. It's all about maintaining correct proportions, and allowing exactly whatever edging, seaming, trim or finish  dimensions the printer requests.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my country we call that hoarding. Whenever I design anything with a complication I add a slug with job info, colour, and scale if necessary. It looks like this…

Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 12.26.13 PM.png

Of course I discuss the scale with the printer and make sure they know what the final size is to be and what the scale is. Often they provide their own templates or request files preprepared a certain way (such as only as Illustrator files and only at 1:10 scale). Usually they are flexible if I can demonstrate I know what I am doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think the preference for Illustrator comes from two sources: primarily vinyl-cutting, where the vectors are easier to import into the cutter, and from (sigh) conversion to CorelDRAW, which is still endemic in the signs industry for several questionable reasons.

I've had half a dozen shops happy with PDF for probably a decade, but I do mostly four-color inkjet work, not old-school vinyl.

Putting the slug on there is a VERY good idea, though. Puts the info right in front of the guy actually feeding the press!

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines