Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bullet Point Formatting Issue

Explorer ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am writing bullet points under a heading. For most of the document, it has not been a problem, but there are several instances where it is bulleting the line above the paragraph of text rather than in-line. The red marked dot is where the bullet should be.

If I select the line above the paragraph where the dot is erroneously placed, it removes the indent and bullet from the full paragraph. Any idea why this is happening or how to fix this in a clean and consistant way?

error.PNG

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you're asking, here. It sounds like you're saying that, if you select the words "Distance to Transit" with the Text tool, then the indent and bullet are spontaneously removed from "Provide seating at regular intervals..."  Did I get it right? I'd be surprised if that was what was actually going on, although I have found a few intermittent weird screen-update issues that are new to InDesign 17.  (I just wrote it off to buying a low-end, used video card, and reassured myself that I could always force a screen redraw by changing the zoom level.)

I don't think that's what you're actually asking, though. Can you flesh out your description a bit? Or maybe give us a screenshot with hidden characters visible? (That's Type -> Show Hidden Characters)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide that screen shot again with hidden characters showing? There might be a line break after the bullet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See below for existing condition:

paragraph.PNG

Then, if I delete the paragraph symbol on the end of "Transit," then this happens: 

condition 2.PNG

If Iselect the "Provide seating" paragraph and press the bullet setting again, it returns to the condition above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott is correct. That is a soft return (forced line break after the bullet. Tiy need to tweak your space before/space after settings in some combination on the two paragraph styles so you don't need to force the sapce between them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unfamiliar with this and how this works. Would you mind sharing more information? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each paragraph in an ID document should be separate, a 'real' paragraph ended with a paragraph mark/hard return. Soft returns (or line breaks, or Shift-Return) should never be used.

A style should be applied to each paragraph, whether the one ID automatically assigns or one you click from the list. In writing and formatting bullet lists, you often have to manually format each paragraph. (That is, it's unlikely the styles are set up to do it automatically, or at least correctly.)

If you merge two paragraphs and then separate them, some style issues can merge or persist in the new paragraph. That is, it may look like a Bullet, but it's actually a Heading style that's absorbed some of the Bullet styling. Always click in each paragraph and make sure it has the style you want applied, without a + sign at the end, indicating it's been modified.

In cases like this make sure you have the heading, any body text, and then each bullet in a true separate paragraph, then click in each to make sure the right, unmodified style is applied to each. That should eliminate the odd mis-stylings you're seeing.

And as noted below, use paragraph spacing settings to adjust space, not extra paragraphs or soft returns.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats one of several reason why using empty paragraphs to create space is not best practice. Use Space Before / Space After instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I use Space Before / Space After, then it causes the last line of the sub heading to have a larger space between lines of text than the others. Then, the same problem occurs when I bullet the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It actually treats it like it is still apart of the subheading and will bullet all of it even if I only select the "provide seating" line

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It sounds like you still have that soft return there. You have to get rid of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines