Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

bulletsCharacterStyle usage in findTextPreferences

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,
Output Needed:  Have to remove unused character styles from the indesign, in that i have faced a new issue, that the character styles is belongs to bullet and numbering section where i cant able to find over script. then i found a key word to acces the character style used in bullets and numbering "bulletsCharacterStyle". but my code is not working properly. could anyone help on this asap.

function unused_Cstyles_removal_subfunction (myChStyle)
{
setchangeTextPreferences ();
fintext = myChStyle.name;
app.findTextPreferences.bulletsAndNumberingListType = ListType.BULLET_LIST;
app.findTextPreferences.bulletsCharacterStyle = fintext;
myFoundStyles = myDocument.findText();
if (myFoundStyles != 0) {
myChStyle.remove();
}
resetchangeTextPreferences();
}

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 15.58.00.png

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

I confess, I have no real idea how to make your code work. I learned a very different way to achieve these ends from Jongware:

app.menus.item(“Character Style Panel Menu”).menuItems.item(“Select All Unused”).associatedMenuAction.invoke();

app.menus.item(“Character Style Panel Menu”).menuItems.item(“Delete Styles...”).associatedMenuAction.invoke();

Don't know if it will still work all these years later, but it will respect all charstyles used only in bullet definitions as used. That's what yo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confess, I have no real idea how to make your code work. I learned a very different way to achieve these ends from Jongware:

app.menus.item(“Character Style Panel Menu”).menuItems.item(“Select All Unused”).associatedMenuAction.invoke();

app.menus.item(“Character Style Panel Menu”).menuItems.item(“Delete Styles...”).associatedMenuAction.invoke();

Don't know if it will still work all these years later, but it will respect all charstyles used only in bullet definitions as used. That's what you're trying to do, right? You're using myDocument.findText() to see if a character style is applied to anything in the document (so you can delete it if unused), but that findText won't find a charstyle used only in a paragraph style, correct? So that's why you're looking specifically for charstyles used in this way? 

If I have all that right, then I think you can safely rely on "Select All Unused." If I'm wrong, can you tell me where?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Joel Cherney..
Yes this is the safest way to process on unused styles using invoke options..

I found some other way that reading all the bullet nested styles from all paragraphs and cross check that styles before removing the character styles. its work on.. but its also have some bugs that..incase the bullet nested style created out of paragraph styles(by the manual way) we could not able to catchup..

So i'm also concluded with the invoke option..

And I just wanna share my tested code for the above mentioned way!

//Reading all bullet nested charcter styles from paragraph styles

var allparagraphstyles = myDocument.paragraphStyles;
var charstylestore = [];
for (z = 0; z < allparagraphstyles.length; z++)
{
var bulletsCharacterStyle_ = myDocument.paragraphStyles.itemByName(allparagraphstyles[z].name).bulletsCharacterStyle.name;
if (bulletsCharacterStyle_ != null && bulletsCharacterStyle_ != "[None]")
{
charstylestore.push(bulletsCharacterStyle_);
}
}

//looping charcter style and match with the already stored nested bullet styles

app.findTextPreferences.appliedCharacterStyle = myChStyle;
myFoundStyles = myDocument.findText();
if (myFoundStyles == 0) {
for (check = 0; check < charstylestore.length; check++)
{
if (myChStyle.name == charstylestore[check])
{
Cstyleremove = 1;
break;
}
else
{
Cstyleremove = 0;
}
}
if (Cstyleremove == 0)
{
myChStyle.remove();
}
}

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines