Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Button hidden behind a layer that does not work

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I am having a problem with creating interactive buttons in InDesign. I have created a series of 4 buttons that allow you to navigate between pages and another button that gives access to a pop-up. When the pop-up opens, a block of text covers the 4 navigation buttons. When I hide the pop-up layer the 4 buttons work but when I display the pop-up layer they are no longer recognized as clickable in the interactivity preview. How to access buttons that are hidden behind a layer?
Thank you for your answer.

4_buttons.pngimage.png

TOPICS
EPUB , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you're designing for either EPUB or Publish Online and if that's the case, you'll need to reconsider your design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick response. I am in the process of self-training in interactive document creation and am therefore a complete beginner. The goal is indeed to use the Publish Online feature. However, I have no idea what the correct design method is in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a limitation of HTML. You cannot have anything on top of those buttons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don’t trust the Interactivity Preview panel. Try it in a published document for actual results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Create an interactivity layer on top of everything else (including the popup) and instead of attaching buttons actions to the button graphics themselves, create four (or more) invisible frames overlaid on top of those buttons. Then assign the actions to these invisible areas.

Uncoupling your interaction layer from the actual content generally gives more control over how the interactions should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines