• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Button rollovers in Interactive pdf files viewed in Acrobat pro cause whole screen to go white

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Two of us working in seperate indesign files are finding that the buttons (upon rollover) cause Acrobat pro to glitch and fill the screen with white. They are simple 'go to destination' (within the same doc) buttons with a rollover state added. No tweaks that we've attempted seem to make it work but strangely; the Pdf files behave as you'd expect for other people in the office. 

We've both tried uninstalling acrobat but to no avail.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Regarding buttons in Interactive PDFs, you can have a word or words or an image (such as a button shape) as a document hyperlink to say another page in the document, or to an external website.
Some devices, for example, iPads, don't have rollover capability – only click – you should avoid multi-action buttons like On Click, On Roll Over, etc.  

Multi-state objects (MSO) don’t work at all in Interactive PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding buttons in Interactive PDFs, you can have a word or words or an image (such as a button shape) as a document hyperlink to say another page in the document, or to an external website.
Some devices, for example, iPads, don't have rollover capability – only click – you should avoid multi-action buttons like On Click, On Roll Over, etc.  

Multi-state objects (MSO) don’t work at all in Interactive PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Derek Cross. After evaluating how best to create a navigable pdf (which I have used for my creative portfolio). I have now taken your advice, used hyperlinks, and removed all buttons from the original. Which is what was causing the blinking of pages within Acrobat in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for further clarity @Derek Cross when creating an interactive pdf are you advocating creating simple page-to-page style buttons via the hyperlinks panel instead of creating them via the buttons and forms panel? (Regardless of roll overs etc, which I'm now avoiding like the plague). I was assuming it was these actions that was causing the issues, not the method for creating the button. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, just about everyone has. Rollovers an awful idea especially since most PDF readers won't honor them and there is no rollover possible in a mobile device.

Stop using them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problems since a few days. It has nothing to do with a hover or role-over state. I only have a simple button with only 'click' functionality which causes a pop-up to show. That has always worked properly. But now when I want to click on the button, the instant I hover over the button to click on it the screen fills completely white. Really strange and I hope this bug gets fixed really quickly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not going to get fixed, and it has nothing to do with InDesign, but with the PDF format itself.

You might just as well give up now; these features, even in Acrobat are wonky at best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a bit of a negative nacy Bob.. This has worked well in the past so the must be a bug that's in the newer updates.  Or, if you say that they won't be fix, what would be an alternative or solve that we could use in the interim as we pivot from old interavtive practices?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob's been consistently advising against using "interactive PDF" as a platform for rich experiences for several years now, and for good reason. Adobe is no longer in control of the PDF file format spec, and there are a couple hundred PDF readers on various platforms, all of which add up to instability when it comes to interactive features invoked from the user side.

An argument that "it all used to work and now it doesn't" understandably seems viable, but as Bob has pointed it, Adobe won't be fixing it, mostly because they can't. So if delivering rich content is your objective, it's best to know what won't work and avoid it in favor of platform that are currently stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mention earlier in this thread what kind of buttons you can use successfully in Interactive PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood, I have just tried some of your suggestions Derek and they seem to work better. Bummer that the interactivity isn't seamless across the updates but I guess that's why adaptions and new ways come up.

And appolgies for my response Bob, but it did seem a bit of 'no, nope, cant do that, it's impossible" in the way your responses were worded instead of something more constructive or explainatory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to what others have suggested here, is there any chance you can use Publish Online for this project? It supports all of InDesign's interactivity. Some great examples here: http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection

Still, I'm not a big fan of rollovers since, as has been pointed out here, they are not supported on tablets, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the frustration. I really do. And yeah, I've been railing against interactive PDF for a long time. Check out this post I wrote six years ago. It's okay to say no to interactive PDF (boblevine.us)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"and it has nothing to do with InDesign, but with the PDF format itself."

BobLevine, it has nothing to do with the PDF format (aka ISO 32000 Standard), it's a bug of Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had similar issues. Since roughly the start of 2022, any new updates to the software have affected the rollover states – making the page white-out. Previously, the pages worked fine, so it must be due to some updates. Annoying...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the issue is Big Sur. On other OS's the problem does not exist. I've not tried Monterey so don't know if it was ironed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have stopped using rollover states because they are too problematic across touch devices and various Mac OS set-ups. I have started using simple clicks to ensure the files work. (Adobe needs to seriously look at this issue as it is affecting designers' ability to deliver on client requests). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use rollover states either, but that's mostly because I think this is old boomer stuff.

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, is it just the "rollover" action, or is it because it's an InDesign button acting in a PDF? I'm newly on a project for a client, for a bigger (huge) client. And the whole thing has been sold on this interactive functionality (beyond just external hyperlinks). If it's a problem with multi-state buttons, then we're fkd. We're OK with pushing Acrobat as the "preferred" viewer app. But we need it to work. We're not in a position to Publish to web, nor (I think) E-pub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but even in Acrobat those buttons are nothing short of wonky. The more you use, the worse it gets. This thread covers everything. Nothing's changed and it's not going to get better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Benjamin M. Root IV

Have a look at in5, an InDesign plugin (at extra cost) which may provide you with a solution:

https://ajarproductions.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines