• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Buttons losing functionality when updating the Table of Contents

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I have an InDesign-based interactive pdf and notice that the buttons losing functionality when updating the Table of Contents, meaning I have to re-link all (many) buttons. The problem has been around for years, and I see that I am not the only one. Is there a solution for this?

Thanks for any help!

I prefer HTML-based solutions for interactive documents (responsive, accessible, easier to maintain), but unfortunately some clients still prefer pdfs.

TOPICS
Bug , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit more info would be helpful, but generally speaking, buttons in a PDF are not a great idea at all. They aren't supported in many PDF readers and even with Acrobat/Reader, they're wonky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The buttons link to items listed in the TOC e.g. (screenshot)

Screenshot 2022-12-09 at 14.01.04.png

 

After updating the TOC, all links are reset and point to the first item in the TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not at all sure why you expect anything else to happen. You changed all of the destinations so how is InDesign supposed to know what goes where?

But again, why the buttons? What use do they serve? The TOC contains bookmarks already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines