• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can a layer in one page be made visible or hidden from a button in different page for epub

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating an epub document. I want a layer in page2 be made hidden/visible by clicking a button in page1. I tried multi state objects, but using that we can control the states present in the same page as the button. Any ideas please.

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

This is not possible in an epub: states cannot be saved between pages, and each page is a separate html page that has no awareness of other pages, nor can pages 'communicate' (meaning use variables and share variables) between them.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll need more of an idea what you're trying to do in order to help you. Layers are document-wide so if you hide a layer, it will hide everything in the document that is on that layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to hide a layer using a button, either layer has to be a button or should be in multi state object. I tried both. example: I converted a layer (in page2) into a button (layerBtn) & made hidden until triggered and i made another actual button (OnBtn) in page1 that has actions when clicked it make the 'layerBtn' appear. But it does not work. it works only when both buttons are in same page. I hope I answered your question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is not possible in an epub: states cannot be saved between pages, and each page is a separate html page that has no awareness of other pages, nor can pages 'communicate' (meaning use variables and share variables) between them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What possible good would that do even if you could do it. A fixed layout epub only displays one page at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so that when i move to next page, the layer will be visible for me. I could not accomodate all the buttons & layers in a single page. So i have to keep a page dedicatedly for button and another page to dedicated to layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide a sample file so we might understand better what it is you're trying to accomplish?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As with Diane, I need to see a sample of what you want. If you want a button to take you to the next page, why isn't the next page already showing what you want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here attached is sample indesign file. On clicking the ON button in page, the layer should appear in page 2. the desired output is epub or online publishing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you just create a multi state object on page one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but how does it affect page2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, I don't think you've thought this through at all. What you want to do can't be done so it's time for a plan B and without a full explanation nobody is going to be able to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines