• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I create two paragraph styles on one line?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm using Adobe InDesign 14.0 x64.

For example, my document currently contains the text "Glaukom H40" (images attached). A paragraph format is stored for the text. This paragraph format is then used for the table of contents. The same text "Glaukom H40" appears in the table of contents.
I would like to have the ICD code "H40" displayed separately after the text "Glaucoma" (e.g. with a character format) and NOT include it in the table of contents.

One solution would be to provide two character formats, one character format for "Glaukom" and one character format for "H40". Unfortunately I cannot include character formats in the table of contents. This is only possible with paragraph formats. But - as far as i know -  I can´t have two paragraph formats in one line. 

The only solution seems to be one line with the text "Glaukom" and another extra line with the code "H40", with H40 being pushed up and to the right of the line.

Does anyone knows a better solution?

Thank you!

Image 1: What I have

whatihave.png

Image 2: What I want (red circles just for you)

whatiwant.png

indd Dokument <= Link to my document

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

No--you can't have run-in heads like in FrameMaker--unfortunately. 

You can try these options:

1. Put the number on it's own line under the main title with a small leading amount; set it to align right; give it a large baseline shift up.
  2. In the TOC, apply a nested style to the numbers; set the color to none; give it a lot of horz. scale and tracking, and make it a small size.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No--you can't have run-in heads like in FrameMaker--unfortunately. 

You can try these options:

1. Put the number on it's own line under the main title with a small leading amount; set it to align right; give it a large baseline shift up.
  2. In the TOC, apply a nested style to the numbers; set the color to none; give it a lot of horz. scale and tracking, and make it a small size.
David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came here looking for an answer to the same question.
Sure would be nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can use a character style which overrides paragraph style for some things as well 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines