• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I embed a photo gallery in InDesign document?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I am publishing a newsletter online using Indesign. Can I embed a photo gallery? If so, how please? Thanks.

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at InDesign's Publish Online feature - the reader has to be online to look at it, but you can enable it so they can download a (static) PDF version.

LinkedInLearning.com have a useful video tutorial by Diane Burns on producing such documents (and you can get 30-days free access).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many ways to do a "photo gallery" so not sure what you are after. Are you envisioning something static or interactive. In a Publish online you can embedd HTML code, there is also posibility to have interactive objects, but bear in mind that what works interactively may not be accessible or work in a downloadable PDF or printed form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lukas. Thanks for responding. Yes, sorry I should've said - I'm looking to embed an interactive gallery, where the user can either click on an arrow to flick to the next pic, or hit play and the gallery plays itself. Hope this helps. (And yes I know it won't work on a downloadable PDF. I'm just looking at my published online newsletter). Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is the type of this magazine? is it publish online or Epub?? or Interactive PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Published online, Manal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Publish Online is a great option, samples here: http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection

To create a grid of photos in InDesign for a photo gallerys, there are several ways to do it. But one of my favorites is as follows:

1. With the Rectangle Frame tool, draw a rectangle that fills the page, and while doing so, press the Right and Up arrows on your keyboard. This will allow you to create a grid of as many rows and columns of frames as you wish.

2. Select all the Frames and use Object menu > Fitting > Frame Fitting options to set all to "Fill Frame".

3. Select multiple image files and just drop them in the frames. You may need to reposition or resize some to get the desired crop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diane. Thanks for responding. Yes, sorry I should've said - I'm looking to embed an interactive gallery, where the user can either click on an arrow to flick to the next pic, or hit play and the gallery plays itself. Hope this helps. (And yes I know it won't work on a downloadable PDF. I'm just looking at my published online newsletter). Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this some years back. Both methods also work for publish online.

https://youtu.be/H6iW8wsjNaE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lukas, video is showing unavailable on my end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lukas. Yes, like Diane said, it's showing as unavailable to my end too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, must have been some issue because of YouTube policy chanbge since I published it, strange no heads up when sharing link. Everything is a moving target it seems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines