• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I link hyphenation to one specific layer?

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2022 Aug 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all

I am a translator and translate German to English. 

When I get InD files to translate, I duplicate the layer containing the German copy, hide it and only process the duplicated layer, which I call ENG. First thing then is to switch off the hyphenation in all the paragraph styles. 

However, this appears to switch it off on the German layer as well, which is a major catastrophe. When I send the file back, the customer will switch it back on for German and basically destroy the English again by hyphenating it. 

Is there some setting I haven't discovered yet, that allows me to bind that setting to one layer and leave the other untouched?

Any help would be appreciated... 

TOPICS
How to , Print , Publish online , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 13, 2022 Aug 13, 2022

For the benefit of those who haven't read the German thread, like me, I'm going to say that Willi probably said something like you cannot link hyphenation to a layer, but you can create separate paragraph styles for each language, and base them all on the style of one language if you wish, then enable or disable hyphenation in the styles for the particular languages you choose.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you make a second question for the same topic. I gavd you the answer: Work with paragraph styles. What is what you do not understand.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willi

Sorry, I didn't realise Eng und Ger posts were in the same place. 

Your answer in German was fine - many thanks. My additional question about globally changing paragraph styles is in the German post.

In future I know I only need to post once 🙂

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the benefit of those who haven't read the German thread, like me, I'm going to say that Willi probably said something like you cannot link hyphenation to a layer, but you can create separate paragraph styles for each language, and base them all on the style of one language if you wish, then enable or disable hyphenation in the styles for the particular languages you choose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely!

And then Uwe added that it's then possible to search on the target language layer (after locking the source language layer) for the original paragraph styles and replace them globally with the new ones for the target language. That prevents the source language styles being overwritten.

I've learnt a lot today! Thanks to all who helped.

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a duplicate post. See this discussion:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/sprachenbezogene-bzw-ebenenbezogene-silbentrennu...

Use the Translate feature below the post to read a reasonable translation in your desired language.

This discussion is locked.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines