• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can objects placed on a Parent Page's pasteboard appear on the Child Page?

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I swear it used to be that you could place objects on a Parent Page's pasteboard and have those objects show on the pages assigned to that Parent? Am I losing it?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The object on the pasteboard of the MasterSpread needs to "touch" any edge of the page in order to be visible on regular pages. 

▒► ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard ◄▒

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To answer your question, I'm pretty sure you are losing it. 😁

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured someone would latch on to my comment about losing it. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's kinda hard to remember but I think Pagemaker might have worked that way. Throw something on the pasteboard it was available on all pages. Please do not hold me to that. It's been at least 20 years since I use PM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably true about PM (been a few years, yes!). And, I do know Adobe Captivate works that way, so maybe that's what I'm thinking of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate doesn't have global "pasteboards" either. Each slide is independent. Otherwise, you could not animate something off the edge of the slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, you are wrong Dave. If an object is placed on a Master slide in Captivate (e.g., "Title Slide" master) then that item appears (albeit locked/unmoveable) on the pasteboard of each slide that is assigned as a "Title Slide". The pasteboard item has no effect on the items on the slide nor their ability to animate off the edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct--I apologize. I was thinking the object had to be selectable on other slides like in PageMaker--not just visible. Not sure what good it would be just to have the object show up--as far as Captivate goes.

To get the same effect in InDesign, extend the Slug area out on your desired edge. Items in the slug area will show up on the document pages. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the way PageMaker did it.

In InDesign use the Library or CC Library or Snippets for that purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not state the reason for wanting pasteboard items to appear on a page, so I am not sure if your solution has anything to do with my needs. but thank you for the input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Dave Saunders wrote a script years ago to move objects onto the pasteboard of additional pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @GM_Nashville , If you can include a slug, any page item that touches the parent page slug will show on the pages. In scripting if you try to get the page number of a page item that doesn’t touch the page it comes back as undefined.

Screen Shot 2.pngScreen Shot 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ParentPage - yes - but Parent will be MasterSpread.

▒► ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard ◄▒

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I included this in an earlier post, but to make it a direct answer, extend the slug area out on the page edge. Objects in the slug area will appear on child pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines