• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can someone confirm if the Abril Fatface font has an extrabold version?

Enthusiast ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Abril Fatface Extrabold exists, where can I get it?

After days of searching I have only seen the Abril Fatface Regular.

InDesign keeps complaining about missing the Abril Fatface Extrabold font, but it does not seem to exist. 

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Abril Fatface exists only in Regular and Italic.

If you see the warning message, its is because somewhere in your document, you have applied Extrabold to Abril fatface (that does not exist).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is only Abril Display Extrabold,

but there is no Abril Fatface Extrabold. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ChrisPBacon_0-1662994230644.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abril Fatface exists only in Regular and Italic.

If you see the warning message, its is because somewhere in your document, you have applied Extrabold to Abril fatface (that does not exist).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny that InDesign reports it as missing font.

I kinda knew this must be the case but wanted to make sure I am not wrong.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny that InDesign reports it as missing font.

It has always been like that, since InDesign exists, but it is normal: how could InDesign “guess” that the weight does not actually exist in the font family?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But why does InDesign lists Extrabold as an option and allows me to select it, if it's not available for Abril Fatface?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because it exists in another typeface and this problem often occurs when you remove a paragraph jump and that 2 different fonts get mixed in a single paragraph. But, if you look at the dropdown menu, InDesign will never list a non existing weight as an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you confusing Abril Fatface with Abril Extrabold? What does your paragraph style show? Are you applying an Extrabold character style?

Do you know how to use the full Preflight Profile? It's a good practice to create a custom profile with ALL the boxes checked on every category, and then run it to see where you might have errors before exporting. It will likely indicate multiple errors. You can jump by link from the panel and fix or eliminate each one, and/or uncheck the boxes where you want to override the error.

JainLemos_1-1662998219834.png

JainLemos_0-1662998113327.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still far away from exporting but I will use the preflight.

No, I am not confusing those font.

As @jmlevy  said, it was because I applied Extrabold to Abril Fatface, but the extrabold version does not exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, but I still don't understand how or why or where you could apply Extrabold to a font that doesn't offer that face option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I applied it at the dropdown that I marked with green:

Screenshot 2022-09-12 172403.png

But now after I selected Regular, it's gone from the list.

Mayeb I installed Abril Fatface from some font I found on the internet (not Adobe) and they mistakenly enabled an Extrabold option for the font.

However if you install fonts from multiple sources, one otf, the other different, etc, not sure which of those font's options is going to be listed in the dropdown.

If I installed 2 identic fonts from different sources, and one of them was packaged with extrabold by mistake by someone who uploaded it, maybe that caused the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it, that happens. And Adobe fonts sometimes need toggling off and on for activation to stick. Glad you got it sorted out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @J E L If you don't setup correctly the caharacter styles without defining the typeface but only the weight, you can (unfortunately) apply a non existing weight to a font.

Capture d’écran 2022-09-12 à 18.29.39.jpgCapture d’écran 2022-09-12 à 18.29.46.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J E L@jmlevy already explained one path, but if you have any override in a paragraph to a face that exists in that font, and change the font, the same weight override will remain. I've had this happen with wholesale swaps from one basic font to another in an existing document. Moreso with italics, when changing to a font that lacks an italic/oblique set.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, that's crazy! I've probably had that happen with wholesale swaps over the years. But generally, I am strict about applying character styles and not having any overrides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As am I, but with those flippin' Word imports you don't always have completely clean formatting. Also cutting and pasting material from one doc to another where different fonts don't completely align. I use Hypatia Sans a lot, and it has no italic/oblique faces, so maybe I run into this more often than some. (I use a character style called FauxTalic, with 10 degrees of skew...)

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, you can immediately see errors on the bottom of your workspace panel when your custom Preflight Profile is selected. The default [Basic] Profile typically shows no or minimal errors. A full Profile can help as you go along building pages, so mistakes aren't repeated, but some people prefer to wait until they are ready to export. Hope that's helpful.

JainLemos_1-1662999861107.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know about that, thanks for reminding me though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, note that in @jmlevy ’s screen capture the missing Font Style is enclosed in brackets, which indicates there was a Font Family change in the style without explicitly setting a valid Font Style for the chosen font. This style started with Universe as the Font Family, which has 17 Font Style options:

Screen Shot 9.png

Of course the Font Syle doesn’t exist.

Screen Shot 8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it was in brackets for me too like this

[Extrabold]

good to know that if it's in brackets, I should not apply it because it doesn't exist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good to know that if it's in brackets, I should not apply it because it doesn't exist

No, it's because it's missing.

Capture d’écran 2022-09-12 à 20.28.57.jpg

Helvetica Neue LT 57 Condensed exists, but it's missing (I have deactivated it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For some missing for some deactivated, but can't be used when in brackets, and indeed I did not see any change, it did not became extrabold. Didn't pay attention to the brackets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines