Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Add Master Page, Can only Add Parent Page

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am a college student and my class is working on an assignment in which we need to create a Master Page. However, my InDesign only gives me the option to add a Parent Page, and we can't figure out how to solve this, meaning I cannot do my work. Please help! Picture below of what I see.

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 11.38.12 AM.png

 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Parent pages is the new name for Master pages. You must have recently updated your software since the new version just came out yesterday. Schools usually don't move that fast when updating. Did you not check the new features out before you updated or first opened the new version?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Parent pages is the new name for Master pages. You must have recently updated your software since the new version just came out yesterday. Schools usually don't move that fast when updating. Did you not check the new features out before you updated or first opened the new version?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to @Creamer Training,s response, I'd recommend you to check out Adobe InDesign what's new page here: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/whats-new/2022.html

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the insight- I wasn't aware that my program had updated at all. I am logged in through my school, so it was odd to me that only my program seemed to have updated when my Professors and peers had not yet. Do Parent Pages now function the same as Master Pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. The word "master" was simply replaced by the word "parent".

Modified nomenclature to promote diversity and inclusion

We have replaced non-inclusive terminology to support core Adobe values of diversity and inclusion. From InDesign 2022 (version 17.0) onwards, you'll reference Parent pages (called Master pages earlier) for applying page layouts, design, and style.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[removed]

All the frustration and confusion just to change ONE word for ONE person who maybe felt "offended"...

What a crazy world we live in.

I wonder how much the [removed] will infect other Adobe products?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Better to be "woke" than asleep at the wheel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed you are a new forum user and all you have posted about is the Parent name change. 

• IF you are a new user of InDesign, then the name change won't really make that much difference to you since you have not used ID long enough to be confused by the name change. 
  • IF you are an experienced user of InDesign, then the name change shouldn't affect your workflow that much--just a quick "oh yeah, master pages are now under the Parent menu". 

Shouldn't be a big deal either way. 

You really don't have to conform to anything. You can continue calling it whatever you wish. The name change only affects one when selecting the actual menu. 

I would rather be laughed at for being more inclusive than using potentially offensive or eclusive terminology.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

let's be real, more people got offended by the change to parent for the sake of misplaced political correctness than people who actually found the word "master" offensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You base this on what? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your history shows a new account, this is your first post, and this is what you complain about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long time user of the software, first time commenter.

Who gets to decide what is considered offensive or not? Using the word "parent" might be misconstrued to be offensive by those who were orphaned. Are you insinuating that their feelings and experiences are somehow less important than those of the coloured community? 

If your concern is to avoid potentially upsetting people with the words you use, then where do you draw the line? Photoshop could reference the editing of one's image to appeal to uninclusive standards on beauty, Illustrator could be seen as racist since it's Latin origin: "illustratus" means to "make light" or "bright", and that could be interpreted as light = white. You talk about "work flow", asking us how this could possibly affect our work flow, but the same can be said for not changing it. You're a coloured individual, right? When you open Indesign to start work on a magazine spread, do you see the word "Master" and get flashbacks to plantations? 

I'd bet my bottom dollar the thing that actually brings these awful events back into people's minds is when a multi-billion dollar American company makes a point to rename things of this nature, to appear more inclusive.
Did you ever consider that you are the ones reminding people of slavery, not your innocently named "Master Pages".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>>Who gets to decide what is considered offensive or not?

The owner of the software.

>>Using the word "parent" might be misconstrued to be offensive by those who were orphaned. 

This is a strawman argument and a waste of time. Last time I looked, everyone had parents at one point in time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines