• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't copy RGB gradient from Illustrator into InDesign

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! It doesn't work for me to copy a rectangle filled with RGB gradient from Illustrator CC 2018 into InDesign CC 2018. Copying gradient object and swatch does work if color space of Illustrator is CMYK, but I initially created the file in RGB, in CMYK colors are pale.... Is copying gradient from Ai into Indd is even supposed to work with RGB?

Illustrator > File > Document color mode > RGB
InDesign > Edit >Assign profiles > Assign current working space sRGB
Transparency blend space > rgb

If in Indd prefer pdf when pasting and copy pdf to clipboard are unchecked, with any clipboard settings in Illustrator, the linear gradient rectangle is pasted with pale cmyk like colors as a picture/bitmap with fragmented color parts.

While if I copy same way square filled with just a color, it is pasted in a correct shade and adds a color swatch to the pallette.

If in Indd prefer pdf when pasting and copy pdf to clipboard are checked, with any clipboard settings in Illustrator, the linear gradient rectangle is pasted as a pdf I assume with correct rgb colors. But no gradient swatch is created, and while selecting many objects it will import them as one image, without possibility to edit or rearrange them. Same if I export pdf from Illustrator and Import it to InDesign, each artboard going to import as one image and not separate objects.

Hope there is a solution to this. Thank you in advance for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Katherine.i  wrote

… Hope there is a solution to this.…

Hi,

you described very well what's possible and what is not.

If you want Illustrator objects with RGB gradients on your InDesign page you have to place an AI file saved with PDF options.

Or you have to save the AI file as PDF/X-4 file and place that to the page.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you say that it is in fact impossible to copy paste RGB gradient itself, with swatch from Illustrator to Indd?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a longer thread from a couple years ago which pretty well lays out the options of what works and what does not:

Why does ID paste AI objects with RGB gradient as CMYK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this is not the case. Just gradients with CMYK colors.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Katherine,

Please check if both the applications are color synced or not? Please check out this link detailed information: Keeping colors consistent, Adobe Acrobat.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm no expert, but I was having the same problem and this worked for me.

In-design preferences

> Display Performance

In the Options area make sure the 'Preserve Object-Level Display Settings' box is ticked

also

> Clipboard Settings

In the Clipboard Handling area - Clipboard area make sure the 'Prefer PDF when Pasting' box is ticked

My gradients started to appear as they should be

I also had problems scaling my gradients once in In-design - if this happens…
If the gradient appears in illutrator as a 'clipped layer' make sure to select the layer and using the layer window open the 'options for' area and make sure the 'LOCK' box is ticked.

I'm not saying this is a fix but these options worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines