• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't double-click to fit text block to content after update in InDesign 18

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before the update, I was able to double-click on a corner or middle point of a text block and it would snap it to a smaller size to fit the text. After the update, I'm not able to do that, and I can seem to find where I can turn that on. I've tried right-click, Fit to Content, but it isn't doing anything.

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rachel:

It is still working for me in 2023. Be sure that the tip of the mouse pointer is located directly over a handle before you double click. Also, show Hidden Characters to make sure there aren't ¶¶¶s keeping it from tightening up to the text. 

If those don't pan out, did you import preferences from the previous version? (Not a good idea.) If so, see rebuilding cache and preferences here: https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @rachelb46864273,

Hope you're doing well!

We would like to follow up on your issue. Are you able to resolve the issue by following our expert advice? Please feel free to update the discussion if you need further assistance.

We would be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for checking in! It only seems to be on some text blocks, so I'm still not sure what the problem is. As a follow-up to the previous responses, this is a layout template that I regularly use, about 40 times a month, so believe me that I have tried all the usual solutions. I know where to click, and I've checked for hidden characters. I usually do import my preferences so that I don't have to re-create my workspace each time InDesign updates, but for some reason, my preferences and my workspaces (in every Adobe program) did NOT carry over this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This happens to me sometimes too and I could never figure it out - actually never really looked into why it happened.

I just set the text frame to Auto Size - and then turn it off and it seems to fix it.

It's a weird one. 

I never did try my favourite fix either

If a document is not behaving well then try 

File>Export 

Choose IDML

Open the IDML in InDesign
Save the file as a new InDesign file with a new name
See if the issue persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines