Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Can't find a 1-character error may be pages and pages away from the body copy

Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using InDesign in Creative Cloud.

There is one error on a doc that I cannot find!  Apparently, it is making this doc quite long, too.

I clicked on "1 error" at the bottom of the screen, and all it says is that 1 character is behaving as overset text on the last page.  From there, I navigated to the error, and the entire text frame is selected.  I see nothing on this page, and in fact, the table I'm using at that point does not fill the text box, which extends to all margins. 

All there is is the little red plus sign saying there is more text to lay out.  So a couple days ago, I clicked on that and got an empty text frame with yet another red plus sign.  I kept going.  No idea.

Just now, I tried again.  This time, I added 20 pages to the end of the document and put a text frame on each page.  I ran out of pages and still have a red plus sign saying there is more.

The Errors box says the fix is to resize the text frame or edit the text to fit within the frame.  And, add text frames to the story thread if necessary.

I am at the end of the "story." and cannot see a thing on the last page that is wrong.  I dragged the bottom of the lone cell row on this page down to the bottom of the page to see if any text or a graphic might be hiding.  I also removed single cell rows to see if one was too wide, and the red plus sign is still there.

Any ideas?  This is not the first time this has happened, btw.  It's always frustrating when this kind of thing can't be found and fixed.  It's very mysterious!  Thanks in advance for your help.

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021
On the last text frame insert your text pointer at the very end of the text. Press CTRL Y or CMD Y and it will bring up the Story Editor - and you should be able to see the overset text. https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-use-adobe-indesign-story-editor/

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the last text frame insert your text pointer at the very end of the text.

Press CTRL Y or CMD Y and it will bring up the Story Editor - and you should be able to see the overset text.

https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-use-adobe-indesign-story-editor/

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I hope your issue is now resolved.

If you still have issues with overset text, in addition to the great response given by Eugene, please check out this webpage to know more about overset text.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines