• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't find in the pdf export specified text with underline or hyphen in between.

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I export my InDesign file for PDF. There is a table inside de document. Some words has a underline in between. If I open the PDF file in chrome or edge browser and search this specified words with underline or a hyphen in between the search tool can't find them. (Ctrl + F)

Is there a possibillity to solve this problem??

Can't find in the pdf export specified text with underline or hyphen in between.

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Besides the advice that browser PDF readers are limited in a number of ways, there is a common search bug in which hyphens in particular are... overlooked. Searches treat hyphens as sort of discretionary spaces, so that dumb-bunny can be found as two words, one word or with any number of spaces in between. 

I'm not sure even Acrobat is completely free of this glitch. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

There is no simple answer for this. Most third-party readers have limits to their implementation. The browsers are optimized for speed and integration, and have many faults with anything but the simplest PDF structure. 

It's rare to be able to tell users what reader to use (== Acrobat), so you have to limit PDF features to the simplest set.

Always a crummy situation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF readers in browsers are notoriously poorly implemented. Try searching in Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat, which are well implemented, and I bet they work correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I know that. But the goal is that the customer can do it without any other program, directly in the browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no simple answer for this. Most third-party readers have limits to their implementation. The browsers are optimized for speed and integration, and have many faults with anything but the simplest PDF structure. 

It's rare to be able to tell users what reader to use (== Acrobat), so you have to limit PDF features to the simplest set.

Always a crummy situation. 

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Adobe Acrobat as this is the only ODF viewer which works correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides the advice that browser PDF readers are limited in a number of ways, there is a common search bug in which hyphens in particular are... overlooked. Searches treat hyphens as sort of discretionary spaces, so that dumb-bunny can be found as two words, one word or with any number of spaces in between. 

I'm not sure even Acrobat is completely free of this glitch. 

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for this quick replys.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines