• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open Indesign after update to latest version

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After doing the update to the latest version of InDesign the program won't open.

It crashes when it gets to "Startup registry..."

What pisses me off about this, is the amount of time I've wasted trying to find the problem and a solution that works.

I pay  to use these programs / apps and this is making the situation even worse, thinking I am paying for something that doesn't work!

Reverting back to version 16.4 helps but what now???? How do I upgrade

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are users just like you - we help each other and not Adobe staff. Where staff do frequent the forums, they don't always. 

Can you let us know what OS you have? Your computer Specs, RAM, HD space, etc.

As you say Startup Registry - I might assume you're on Windows... but it's not clear.

You have to realise that your situation is unique, it's not common for this to happen - yes we all pay for the apps. Just like I pay for my car, just because I buy it it doesn't mean it doesn't need a service, need more petrol, maybe an upgrade to the tires, or buy snow tires, change the tires, change the oil, etc. 

My point is you need to maintain your computer - and yes sometimes things go wonky with computers, I've been using computers since the early 1980s and yes things always go wrong.

--------------

Try resetting your preferences:
The easiest way to reset everything is to delete the InDesign preferences: as soon as InDesign starts to boot hold down Shift, Alt, Ctrl (and Apple/Cmd if working on a Macintosh). A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

-----

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

----

Two of the most common fixes are above.

Let us know if you are able to fix your issue.

--

other possible causes could be anything from a corrupt font to anti-virus software - to malware on your computer... who knows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Eugene,

Thank you for kind response and taking the time to write it.

Let me try the above suggestions you made first. I am now wondering if it's not the Graphics Card drivers that screwed things up.

I'll update that as well and see if it fixed the problem.

Again, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're very welcome. 

I had an issue with illustrator where I couldn't zoom in pay 1600% and nothing fixed it.

I changed the color profile on my monitor and it fixed it.

Weird, right?

Who knows what happened? 

But there's so many os variations, 3rd party programs, plugins, updates, etc.

Things go wrong and it's a minefield trying to track down the problem that crept in.

I've seen new computers with a clean install of InDesign not work. 

Computers are weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL - yes and everyone is scared they would take over the world one day. I can just see it now...

Right before the launch of an attack that would wipe all life on Earth it goes... an update is available and you need to install and restart before you can proceed....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines