Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Can't place items using Finder anymore

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When placing a file in InDesign, I used to look it up in Finder, open the Place dialog in InDesign and then drop the file from Finder on the dialog in Indesign.

Since the last update, that doesn't work anymore. Instead, when dropping a file from Finder onto the Place dialog, Finder (or Indesign?) is moving the file to the folder that is selected in the dialog.

TOPICS
Bug, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jos,

never tried to drop a placeable file to the Place dialog.

Perhaps this only worked on a Mac and I'm on Windows?

What you still can do is dropping a file from the Finder to your InDesign layout window.

The cursor should be populated with the file and show a little preview.

You talked about an update. Was this an update of InDesign?
Perhaps from version 17.0.0.96 to 17.0.1.105?
Or was it an update of the operating system?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jos Almekinders:

I'm on Big Sur (11.6) and InDesign 2022 (17.01) and I can drag and drop an image from Finder into the Place dialog box. (Not that I've used that workflow before.) You can just drag and drop from Finder directly onto the InDesign page, which will save a few seconds. 

~Barb

image1.gif

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That might be more of a mac bug. Double check that you aren't getting a (+) and try holding buttons like command or option until it goes away.  I am pretty sure I was fighting that for a few days, but I was trying to drop email attachment files to chrome.  It randomly went away for me though.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines