• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't remove hyplerlink formatting from all hyperlinks in document

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My designer colleague and I are trying to export a print and a digital version of a report. 

For the digital version, we've included hyperlinks to the dozens of citations in the report. Obviously, in the print version, we don't want underlined blue text throughout. We can delete the links themselves in the interactive panel, but she's had to go through and change the formatting manually for each one. 

That seems insane. 

Adobe, is there no way just to export a pdf for print without hyperlinks, and in the export process just remove links and link formatting? 

Thankfully, this report is only 12 pages, but we may run into this problem again with much longer reports and that's a huge amount of time.

Help if anyone knows a workaround, or Adobe, please add this feature!

TOPICS
Import and export , Print , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't you just edit the Hyperlink character style and leave the links alone?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify David Creamer's suggestion about the Hyperlink character style. When you create a text Hyperlink in inDesign a character style (by default the blue color with an underline) is created and applied automatically to that Hyperlink and all others created within the document. So, as David suggests, it is actually quite easy to change the color and remove the underline globally by editing the Character Style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll see if that works! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not have both underlined (for the digital version) and plain (for the print version)?

We teach this nifty trick in our InDesign classes...

1. Use the default Hyperlink character style for the digital PDFs and EPUBs.
    In the style, adjust the color of the text and underline, as well as the underline's position and thickness.
  2. Create a new Hyperlink-for-Print character style that resets the text to 100% black, and eliminates the underline (or sets it to  0 pts.).
  3. Export the first PDF-Interactive for the accessible, digital version.
  4. Swap the Hyperlink style with Hyperlink-for-Print style.
  5. Export the second PDF-Print to create the press version.

Have attached PDF sample file below.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of swapping them in the text - wouldn't be much easier / more convenient / faster to change 😉 to create Hyperlink4PDF and Hyperlink4Print - and then base "main" Hyperlink style on one of them 😉 so when you need to "swap" formatting - it would be just quick change to Based On instead of so many extra clicks in the FindChange dialog box 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Bill Silbert for clarifying. My first post was from my phone and I hate typing on my phone!

For print, change the character style to your text color (presumedly black) and no underline. The fact that the hyperlinks are still there won't matter when the PDF is printed, however you can globally remove the links in Acrobat Pro.

For online, change the color to what your want (it doesn't have to be the default blue) and turn on the underline. I like to edit the underline so it doesn't cut into the text descenders. 

Another thing to be aware of is if you hyperlinked the text that doesn't give the web address. For example, in the online version, you could hyperlink "See Adobe's website for more info." However, that wouldn't actually show the web address for the print version. If that is a requirement, consider using conditional text.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I totally agree about phone typing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines