• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't SAVE because is exporting to PDF

Contributor ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You all know what I am talking about because it's been happening for the last 5 years both in Illustrator and InDesign.

You do some work, hit EXPORT AS PDF, window closes, you hit COMAND + SAVE  and Indesign or Illustrator tells you it can't Save because it's exporting. You take a breath, try it again and it ALWAYS WORKS.

Mostly a 8-10 time a day annoyance. Why can't the file SAVE AND EXPORT at the same time? Don't we have multiple processors for that? I always have to do it twice. 

And this never happened years ago, it would save as it was exporting, according to my recollection.

Does this happen to anyone else? Any way to correct it?

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not use Adobe PDF Presets (which you can modify and save as your own)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what that is; I don't have issues exporting the PDF, just annoyance that I can't Save when doc is exporting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wait yes, I know what that is. I use presets already but that doesn't make it so I can Save the doc when is eporting. Those are just Acrobat settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Juan said:

"You do some work, hit EXPORT AS PDF, window closes, you hit COMAND + SAVE and Indesign or Illustrator tells you it can't Save because it's exporting. You take a breath, try it again and it ALWAYS WORKS."

Hi Juan,

exporting a PDF is a background process by default.

So you can only save and close the document when InDesign is done with the process.

There is a panel for background processes in InDesign where you can watch if the process is already done.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Soooooo this is just the way it is then? Wait until the little circle in InDesign stops spinning and then I can Save and move on?

If it is a Background process, wouldn't I be able to Save, like definition of Background Process is that it is happening and is not affecting the functionality of the application? But it does because I can't Save. Unless Saving is also a Background process then it's 2 Background processes clashing into each other? Multi-processors Adobe!!!!

Sigh. It's these tiny annoyances that drive me nuts about Adobe software. 

How come I didn't have this issues 6-7 years ago? Different way the software was built?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

How much RAM and spare hard disk capacity do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OS 12.3

INDD 17.1

RAM 32GB 2400Mhz DDR4

497GB Available HD

I don't think this is a capacity issue, just not an elegant resolution on Adobe's part. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines