• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't save damaged .INDD file as .IDML CC 2021

Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm able to work within the .INDD file, save it, and export PDFs just fine. However, when I try to save it as an .IDML file, InDesign crashes. When I re-open the .INDD file, I get the dreaded "[File] may be damaged. Do you want to open it anyway?" popup.

My goal in saving it as an .IDML is so that I can use it to hopefully strip out some of the file damages and  resave a new .INDD file. Any advice?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of OS?

How much RAM and spare hard disk capacity do you have?

Does this happen with all documents or just one particular one?

Have you tried resetting the InDesign preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoops, I missed your reply Derek! See my answers below in pink. As the issue is only occuring with this one particular file, I have a feeling I'm dealing with a corrupt file. I'm pretty sure the best remedy is to recreate it in a fresh INDD document, but was (of course) crossing my fingers for an easier solution.

Which version of OS? Windows 10 Pro

How much RAM and spare hard disk capacity do you have? RAM - 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable) | Hard disk - 54.0GB (406 in use)

Does this happen with all documents or just one particular one? Just this particular one

Have you tried resetting the InDesign preferences? Haven't tried this yet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you have a corrupt file (although you could do with some more spare hard disk capacity to process your documents.

Divide the document in half and see if you can export one half and if the other half crashes again, divide the "bad" side and repeat the exercise, in due course (hopefully!) you may isolate the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you tried the package function? File > Package - see if InDesign can output the IDML through there, or atleast see if a different errors occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read about the divide and conquer method here:

InDesign Troubleshooting

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your help! I tried a number of the suggestions (packaging the file, splitting + savings pages separately, resetting preferences, etc.), but unfortunately no winning solution. I sent the file to another designer who was able to successfully save it as an .IDML. However, the file still crashes for me. At this point, it may be more efficient to recreate a fresh file. Bummer, but again, very appreciatice of all your suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it works elsewhere but not for you, it could be a corrupt font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Bob! I will look into that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines