• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't scale proportionally anymore with shift command in InDesign on macOS

Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I updated to 2020, I can't seem to use shift+command to scale my images or text proportionally - it just changes the size of the object's box - not the content within the box. When I click on the content itself, I can scale it but it is disproportionate. This is one of my go-to shortcuts! Help!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

When modifier keys like Shift and Option/Alt are not working, a likely cause is a conflicting third party application/plug-in/extension. Try restarting your computer and launch InDesign before any other application (including your normal startup applications). If you find that your keyboard shortcuts are now working, then it's a third party application causing the problem. Likely candidates: Extensions and plug-ins for browsers, anti-virus applications and so on. Open your other applications one

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ParthoSwe I got exactly the same issue and can only fix it by rebooting which should not be the way when working on a project. Anyone recently discovered anything new, any other reason for those keys to stop working after a while? – for me it is the proportional scale (shift) and drag view (sapce bar) and copy object (alt)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Just happens out of nowhere. Same keys you describe.

Now running Ai 26.5, InD 17.4 and Psd 23.5 on a Macbook Pro M1 Max, Monterey 12.4.

The functionality is lost in all above apps att hte same time.

Really annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me, out of nowhere it stops scaling. Wasting tons of time. I do not have time to reboot while producing fast oin an hourly billing rate. This is an issue InDesign needs to fix. Not a thiord party issue on my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i recently installed onedrive with all the microsoft programmes and had this issue until i just quit word ect didnt even have to restart indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes !!! This is working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was Word doing it for me, too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also worked for me! A little annoying because sometimes text copy I'm putting into an InDesign project is in Word, but I'm glad I know how to get the key commands working again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I found the problem for mac, it's webroot for sure. if you click on it at the top right corner on it's green little icon, you'll find an option "pause secure keyboard entry" that's it, you click on it and you'll be able to resize the image proportionally again. What I don't know is how to keep the option off. If you know, just let the other know too please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have webroot and; it randomly happens to me all of the time (Mac running Monterrey, ID 18.1). Yesterday I was working ID and all was fine, then I command+tab to read a text, command+tabbed back and scaling and drag didn't work. It's so infuriating that such basic level functions that have been in the app since it debuted simply don't work some times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, option+drag to duplicate breaks as well when I'm having the scaling problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am sorry that you're going through this, I know how fustrating can be...

I've done so much research until I found the issue for me..at least.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you, but Steve's reply from above is a start. I suggest to try to look for apps that intervene with the keyboard. Hope that makes sense. 🙂

This is Steve's Werner answer:

"When modifier keys like Shift and Option/Alt are not working, a likely cause is a conflicting third party application/plug-in/extension. Try restarting your computer and launch InDesign before any other application (including your normal startup applications). If you find that your keyboard shortcuts are now working, then it's a third party application causing the problem. Likely candidates: Extensions and plug-ins for browsers, anti-virus applications and so on. Open your other applications one."

I wish you good luck with your problem & that maybe someone else sees your comments and have the answer for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have followed this thread but I am still having the issue.

Using an iMac 2023 

I have never had Webroot but have shut down spotify and have nothing else open and it's still not working...
Any help or advice is much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when iinstalled onedrive with all the microsoft programmes i had this issue until i just quit word ect didnt even have to restart indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I don't have OneDrive installed, I have quit all my programmes and yet it still won't work. Feeling deflated and confused 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Please try the suggestions shared in this discussion and let us know if this helps or if you need further assistance.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had Auto-fit unchecked in the main fitting menu!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2024 Mar 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem after getting a new Mac computer and went through all the solutions litsed on this page but none of them worked. I also was on a session with Adobe where they accessed my computer remotely to see what was wrong. They deleted a few folders but that didn't solve the issue. They called me back a few days later to suggest I udate my operating system, and miraculously that fixed the scaling issue in Indesign. Hope this answer helps someone in this same situation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines