• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't use alt to copy

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just bought a new Power Book Mac 2019 and can't use alt to copy. It works in other programs but not indesign, what do i do?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble. I would like to know if the steps suggested above by @Geоrge worked for you? If not, I would request you to share a few more details along with the ones asked by Brad @ Roaring Mouse:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

FWIW: Using the alt key to duplicate selected text in the Layout Window is an option in the preferences that is off by default. To enable that option do:

Preferences > Type > Drag and Drop Text Editing

[ x ] Enable in Layout View

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try reset to the "factory settings"?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/troubleshooting-weird-indesign-problems-101-error-new/td-p/1...

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean to Opt-drag a copy is not working?  

What version of InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble. I would like to know if the steps suggested above by @Geоrge worked for you? If not, I would request you to share a few more details along with the ones asked by Brad @ Roaring Mouse:

• Is the issue happening while working on a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, or web extensions installed recently.

Also, please try booting the system into Safe Mode ( https://helpx.adobe.com/in/x-productkb/global/start-safe-boot-mode-mac.html) and see if it works there. It starts your system to perform certain checks and prevent third-party software/ services from automatically loading or opening.

I will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using the Text tool, Option (Alt) will give you the Hand tool. If you're using the Selection tool, Option-drag should make copies. Just to make sure, are you using the Selection tool right?

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FWIW: Using the alt key to duplicate selected text in the Layout Window is an option in the preferences that is off by default. To enable that option do:

Preferences > Type > Drag and Drop Text Editing

[ x ] Enable in Layout View

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines