• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can table and cell styles automatically achieve this effect?

Enthusiast ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first line is the header, can you use the table style and cell style to automatically realize that the left and right lines are empty and the top and bottom lines are bold?

The first one in the figure below is implemented automatically, and the left and right headers are not empty (this is not what I want).

The second is the effect I want, which is to manually set the left and right lines of the meter head to 0 on the basis of the first one.

------

Note: The first line must be the header

tab--.jpg

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Yes. 

Put a table border in the Table Style settings that matches the top and bottom rules.

For the header and body Cell Styles, change the rule setting.

For example, for the header:

• Leave the top rule alone.
  • Select just the left and right rules and set to 0 (zero) weight.
  • Set the bottom to your desired weight.

Do the same for the body cell style.

Below is an example of a one-click Table Style. 

Here is the link to the InDesign file if you want it: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoUnkZfvAJFlqOVScaFKLB3pE7_E1A?e=gcr0k2

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

[I let you play until now! ...]

… So reading this thread, there could be apparently 4 ways to handle this question (fixing it or not):

• Using existing InDesign functionalities and your own current skills. But it seems too "fringe" for you!
• Using the line of code I gave ("fast and furious").

• Waiting for Adobe!

• … The 4th way: an immediate and free course on "How-To-More-Deeply-Use-InDesign-Table-Feature!"! [I'm not a trainer (and definitely not interested about that). I've just updated the .in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. 

Put a table border in the Table Style settings that matches the top and bottom rules.

For the header and body Cell Styles, change the rule setting.

For example, for the header:

• Leave the top rule alone.
  • Select just the left and right rules and set to 0 (zero) weight.
  • Set the bottom to your desired weight.

Do the same for the body cell style.

Below is an example of a one-click Table Style. 

Here is the link to the InDesign file if you want it: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoUnkZfvAJFlqOVScaFKLB3pE7_E1A?e=gcr0k2

image.png

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… and if I want a 1-point black stroke between columns!

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The body rows can be automated with the table style and a first/last column cell styles.

The header row needs cell styles applied to the first and last column cell(s). Not much of an issue since the header automatically repeats if the table flows on multiple pages. 

The ID file has been updated with the modifications.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know I know how to build a table and I think for a very long time that this is a game for scripting and true automation that will make simpler things and do them in 1 click, maybe even you have hundreds of tables and thousands of cells.

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would prefer using Table and Cell styles for global updates of the formats. Certainly having a script to automate the five clicks would be helpful (apply style, select first header cell and apply cell style, select last header cell and apply cell style). Of course, there would be more clicks if a footer is involved.

Scripting can make just about anything in ID easier. If you have a script, feel free to post it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the header part, both the leftmost line and the rightmost line need to be set manually?

tab-02.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but just with a simple click on a Cell style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure! … but 500 tables = 1,000 simple clicks on a cell style!  😉

That's why I prefer to play it by script! … But I agree: not automatic even if the user just needs 1 click!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you coming up with the larger number of tables? No one is arguing that a script would be more efficient for a large number of tables, but I don't see that mentioned in the OP's posts.

If you have a script solution--post it. Unless you are just trying to drum up business for your services...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just mention the "time" limits of manual treatments!

… and simplistically (quickly typing), the user could just need, instead of 1,000 clicks:

app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().leftBorderStrokeWeight = app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().rightBorderStrokeWeight = 0;

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem can only be improved by adobe.

The form should be controlled in three parts:

①header-Left,Head-Center,Head-Left

②Body-Left,Body-Center,Body-Right

③Tail-Left,Tail-Center,Tail-Right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[I let you play until now! ...]

… So reading this thread, there could be apparently 4 ways to handle this question (fixing it or not):

• Using existing InDesign functionalities and your own current skills. But it seems too "fringe" for you!
• Using the line of code I gave ("fast and furious").

• Waiting for Adobe!

• … The 4th way: an immediate and free course on "How-To-More-Deeply-Use-InDesign-Table-Feature!"! [I'm not a trainer (and definitely not interested about that). I've just updated the .indd doc shared. All is in the table-cells parameters!]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9n5tnm6l1jv6odd/Table%20rules-3%20by%20FRIdNGE.idml?dl=0

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, fridge

Can script realize the following functions

Set the first row of the table as the header,

Add a new row in the front, apply the "continuation table" cell style, and set the minimum row height to 5mm. I'm going to put the word "continuation form" in it.

Next, add a new row at the end of the table, and set its exact row height to the minimum value (1.058mm), bottom border to 0.3mm, and convert to the end of the table.

The minimum height of other lines: 7.6 mm。

Apply “mytab” table style to the whole table。

4-18.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

喜狼_edny,

Take a look at Fridnge's example. It's built more efficiently than my original quick example. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw it. Thank you very much~

It's true that there are experts in the world

amazing, my God

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 喜狼_edny,

hm, for the "continue" issue you could use a function in the table style.

It would allow to skip header rows in the first text frame or the first text column where the table is running through.

From my German InDesign 2021 on Windows 10:

A table is running through several text frames. Only on the second frame and the next frames after the second one the two header rows are visible. In the first frame you simply can put in the header's contents to the first body row of the table. The yellow rows are header rows, the white ones are all body rows:

SkipHeaderInFirstRow-1.PNG

There is a control for skipping all the header rows in the first frame or first column of a table:

SkipHeaderInFirstRow-2.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@dublove wrote:

The first line is the header, can you use the table style and cell style to automatically realize that the left and right lines are empty and the top and bottom lines are bold?

The first one in the figure below is implemented automatically, and the left and right headers are not empty (this is not what I want).

The second is the effect I want, which is to manually set the left and right lines of the meter head to 0 on the basis of the first one.

------

Note: The first line must be the header

the same time 

the first time 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines