Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you do captions for swatch values?

Contributor ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As the title suggests, I'm wondering if you can some how add captions that automatically give colour values for selected swatches (I'd like all profiles ideally (RGB, CMYK, HSB, Hex, spot names)). 

As you'll know, captions have many options but it's pulling the info from meta data on an image, not a swatch from within InDesign or a library file...so could this be done for a selected swatch somehow?

(My use case scenario is for creating brand guidelines and not having to type in every colour value; I'm just thinking there must be an automatic way of doing this and I'm missing it.)

Thanks 🙂

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

If the branding master colors are Pantone or Lab colors, this thread might help:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/branding-color-guide/td-p/10818696

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After posting i found this short thread which is asking a very simialr thing: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/swatch-name-live-captions/td-p/9063641

So it looks like you can't use captions, but maybe it can be scripted....which I do not have the brain to do...anyone know any scripts out there which do this?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brian,

Thanks for this 🙂 It shows that it can be done and gives me a good base to try and work from!

Great, thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the branding master colors are Pantone or Lab colors, this thread might help:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/branding-color-guide/td-p/10818696

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob. That's an interesting discussion...definitely one for the print professionals amongst us.

Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Eugene. It looks like that link isn't there anymore, but it does show that i'm not missing something simple within InDesign; other people have the same question too 🙂

Thanks again 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - I thought I checked the link. 

I'm not 100% sure if this is what you need - https://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/swatchwatcher-case-study/ or even it's free 100%.

It might work - you might be able to append the code to include the other colour breakdowns. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries at all! Thanks for trying to help 🙂 
Brian's linked to the swatchwatcher above...it is free (woohoo!), and works (double woohoo!), so I'm going to have a fiddle when I have time and see if i can make it work for what i need.

Thanks again Eugene 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

selected swatches (I'd like all profiles ideally (RGB, CMYK, HSB, Hex, spot names))

Looks like swatchwatcher labels the colors with their color mode values—it doesn’t give the conversions you are looking for.

For RGB, CMYK, HSB, and Hex colors the conversion numbers are dependent on the document’s color settings (assigned profiles, intent, black point compensation), which could be anything. The linked script in the thread I posted does that, but the document color settings are defined in the script and labels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

ah-ha! I completely missed that this had a script and generates pretty much everything I'd need; I glanced over it and thought it was more a discussion and reference table. Very, very nice work! 

(I particularly like the in/out of gamut range addition; that's a seriously handy nugget of info for designers.)

Thanks so much again for replying Rob, and following up to point out I need to slow down and actually read what you shared! It's not the exact thing I was after but is a huge help, and what I'll use going forward.

Big Thanks 😊 *respect fist bump*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, in case you missed it, the script only outputs swatch info for Lab colors—process or spot. So the Pantone Solid ink libraries, or other solid ink libraries (i.e., Toyo) would work as the master source color. You could also use Lab instrument readings of any paint chip or object as the source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I was wondering if you ever found a script to do this for you? I would like to do something similar, but instead of adding the color values, I would like the caption to be the color swatch name. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script from Rob worked for me (above) 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @KMColor , my BrandingGrid script only gets Lab colors (Pantone Solid+ swatches are Lab defined). Here’s a simpler version that gets all swatches with no color data in the label, just the name. The name label is styled and on a separate layer:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/c1b26fd9-4902-4b5b-4128-4b6aab661455

Screen Shot 18.png

Screen Shot 19.png

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/c1b26fd9-4902-4b5b-4128-4b6aab661455

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you rob day!

This is almost what I'm looking for. Most of the times though I want control of where the box of color is on the page and it's not always in complete rows or columns as I sort them into certain orders depending on hue.

I have pages filled with color squares already layed out as needed. What I want to do is just add a text box under each square with the color names. Similar to what you can do with a caption for an image. When there is an image, you can have the caption take the name of the image and display it. Does that make sense? I know I could type the names in, but I have thousands to complete and was hoping to automate it if possible and to help avoid typos.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines