• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you have two different numbering styles for endnotes in one document?

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a document that needs to have two sets of endnotes. The main story will need it's own set and after each chapter there will include a table at the end that will need it's own set of endnotes.

I would like the main story to have numerical endotes and the tables to have roman numerals. I would title main story endnotes 'Notes' and the other 'Table notes'.

I can't use footnotes as the notes are far too large. Is this even possible in InDesign?

Please see attached image of what I'm trying to achieve.

Many thanks! 

TOPICS
How to , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you could have uniquely defined end notes in each document file (one per chapter), but not in a combined set of endnotes (using the Book feature).

End notes for, well, end notes and footnotes for chapter notes is the most likely path, although getting to your specific end needs will take some effort. (Footnotes are not any more limited in length than end notes; the only real difference is how they are organized and managed within the doc.)

There might be a plug-in for advanced academic work out there that can juggle notes in something like this manner. (No, I don't know of one.) The only solution that comes to mind is to manage one set of notes manually. Use end notes for the chapter notes, and manually manage/insert the overall book notes, or vice versa. Messy, I know.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah I thought that may be the case. Thank you for your help though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines