• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot change default to InDesign 2021

Engaged ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to InDesign 2021 (16), but have left 2020 intact. Now I cannot change the default program in Windows 10. The program does not show up in the "Default apps", and even if I right click and choose the correct file, it does not register. I have to open 2021 and then use the "open file" option. There is no way to click on an InDesign file and have it default to 2021.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Try installing/reinstalling InDesign 2021 using the CC desktop app.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

I had this problem too, however re-installing just 2021 didn't do it for me. Unless I uninstall and reinstall all indesign versions and install them in the correct order.

The only way I was able to fix this was to type "default apps" in the start menu, click on "choose a default app for each type of file" , look for .indd extension, then choose the correct app you want it to open with, in this case, Indesign 2021. Hope this helps anyone else with this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

I changed the name of indesign.exe to xindesign.exe on the default version.  When I right click on a document and choose open with it lets me find the old indesign.exe and change that to the default.

Then I changed the name of the newer version back to indesign.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No answers? I'm having the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try installing/reinstalling InDesign 2021 using the CC desktop app.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice. I was a little nervous about doing this, but it worked like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem too, however re-installing just 2021 didn't do it for me. Unless I uninstall and reinstall all indesign versions and install them in the correct order.

The only way I was able to fix this was to type "default apps" in the start menu, click on "choose a default app for each type of file" , look for .indd extension, then choose the correct app you want it to open with, in this case, Indesign 2021. Hope this helps anyone else with this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mylest44359532 wrote:

Unless I uninstall and reinstall all indesign versions and install them in the correct order.

In case anyone else reads this thread, Adobe only offers the current version and the one previous for reinstalling. If older versions are uninstalled, they may be gone.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved this problem by going into the registry editor and changing the key "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InDesign.Document\Shell\Open\Command" to point to the correct version.

However only do this if you happy to take some risks and know what you're doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. This is confirmed.  Works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe can help you here. Let's go step-by-step through the process to do that with Microsoft Windows 10:

• Open Windows File Explorer and navigate your way to one of your InDesign document files.
  • Click once to select the file, then right-click once to open the context-sensitive menu, as shown below.

1.jpg

• Select the Open with... flyaway menu command.
  • This opens a popup menu that will show first which program is the default for opening the .indd file. In my example below, that is Adobe InDesign 2021.

• 2.jpg

Clicking on the More apps link will show you perhaps several options for other programs which may be able to open your .indd file. Many of them may be wrong. Scroll to the bottom and you'll see a link to Look for another app on this PC. Click that link.

• Navigate your way to your InDesign.exe file for InDesign CC 2021. By default, that should be stored on your [System drive (generally C:)]\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign 2021 folder, as shown below.

3.jpg

• This will return you to the popup menu, now with Adobe InDesign 2021 shown at the top of the menu. Select the Always use this app to open .indd files check box, then click the OK button.
  • Now double-click the .indd file in your Windows File Manager, and it should open with Adobe InDesignCC 2021. Then go back to the file manager, pick another .indd file and confirm that it selects IDCC2021 as well.

Realize after you do this, you're not done yet. You'll have to go through this same process for InDesign template (.indt), InDesign library (.indl), InDesign book (.indb) and InDesign CS4 or Later interchange (.idml) files too to set IDCC 2021 for your default program straight across the board for working with InDesign files.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Randy,

Thanks, that is indeed how it is supposed to work, but at least in my case it did not. Only directly changing the registry helped (but I would not recommend that unless you know what you're doing).

Also this gets randomly overwritten when InDesign versions are updated. 

BTW I had started a thread about a related issue earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing information, Thanks for sharing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed the name of indesign.exe to xindesign.exe on the default version.  When I right click on a document and choose open with it lets me find the old indesign.exe and change that to the default.

Then I changed the name of the newer version back to indesign.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legend 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paladin Level 99 legend!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be chosen "Correct Answer"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2023 Nov 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL, what a legend. Even the regedit did not work, but this did. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines