• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot change default to InDesign 2023

Engaged ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I updated InDesign for WIndows 11, I got a new directory called "InDesign 2023." I can open the file manually from there, but there is no option to change it to the default, which is set at "InDesign 2022". I tried choosing "other" and clicking on the file, but it doesn't take.

Any ideas how to fix this? I do not want to unisntall InDesign 17.4.1, only to make 18.1 the default.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

I see Win 11 has changed some settings for changing Default apps. See if the following article helps

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/customizing-windows-11-how-to-change-default-apps

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Hi @NIRC ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Is it happening with other apps as well or only with InDesign? You can also refer to this Windows article https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-default-programs-in-windows-e5d82cad-17d1-c53b-3505-f10a32e1894d 

Let us know how it goes and we'll try our best to assist you with it.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Hi @NIRC,

Probably asking about this on Windows forum might not be a bad idea.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

@NIRC wrote:

When an older file is updated, it automatically becomes the default, and the newer one des not show in the "default applications" for WIndows.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Why you are updating older files?

Community Expert @D Fosse drills into it into us:

• When you install, install the older one first, then move to the newest one last.
  • When you uninstall, uninstall the newest one first, then move backward.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Don't use the www.

Adobe InDesign (uservoice.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see Win 11 has changed some settings for changing Default apps. See if the following article helps

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/customizing-windows-11-how-to-change-default-apps

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is precisely my problem. The "change default" does NOT save the "open with other" after selected. It works once and then revers to the old default. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @NIRC ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Is it happening with other apps as well or only with InDesign? You can also refer to this Windows article https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-default-programs-in-windows-e5d82cad-17d1-c53b-35... 

Let us know how it goes and we'll try our best to assist you with it.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two options. If I search the extension, Indesign 2023 does not show up as an option. If I search for the program, it does not show up in the list. And, yes, this is the only program I have ever had trouble with. In the past, I had to delete the older version of InDesign, but that was a hassle and usually involved reinstalling and resetting all the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @NIRC,

Probably asking about this on Windows forum might not be a bad idea.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows was no help, short of tampering with regedit.

I think this is a BUG in Creative Cloud updating. When an older file is updated, it automatically becomes the default, and the newer one des not show in the "default applications" for WIndows. The only way to fix it I can find is to uninstall the latest version and then reinstall it. Then the defaults are reset. Windows then gives the option for defaults to the older and the newer versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NIRC wrote:

When an older file is updated, it automatically becomes the default, and the newer one des not show in the "default applications" for WIndows.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Why you are updating older files?

Community Expert @D Fosse drills into it into us:

• When you install, install the older one first, then move to the newest one last.
  • When you uninstall, uninstall the newest one first, then move backward.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some expensive third-party plugins that I do not want to pay the upgrade for. Hence, the older version. I understand the instructions, but both of them were already installed. Why should I have to uinstall and reinstall a program just to be able to set the default?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NIRC, I agree that this is bug that appeared in the most recent InDesign upgrade. I'm on Windows 11 on several computers in my shop, and Windows 10 on one other. I can set the default app in Win10, but not on any of the Win11 computers.

WHy not log this at www.Indesign.UserVoice.com as a bug? That way other users can see and vote it up. When you do, please come back to this forum and let us know in this thread the hyperlink to your UserVoice bug request.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The site you indicate is flagged as dangerous. I did not upload the bug there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use the www.

Adobe InDesign (uservoice.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bevi Chagnon - PubCom.com 

It appears that someone didn't code that page to forward properly if using the www.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use @BobLevine's hyperlink. UserVoice is an Adobe website and is safe.

And thanks Bob!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines