Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot copy gradient from Illustrator 27.5 version to InDesign 18.2.1 version

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I made a logo that contains a gradient and when I import it to indesign it changes the color to a different
gradient, I already tried the solutions through:
community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/cannot-copy-gradient-from-illustrator-to-indesign/td-p/10204522
but without success changing even the color profiles. I realized that this is not just happening with my
logo and it happens with others that I tested (not made by me) and the same thing happens.
In addition to changing the color of the gradient when resizing, parts are lost with the exception
of the type font.

Tanks, Cheers

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

In that case, I'll send you instructions for restoring InDesign preferences and caches because I strongly suspect that they might help:

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your title says "copy," but then you say "import". Please clarify as to which you are doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied another user's title and ajusted for the programs versions because the problem is the same, in the text by mystake, i said import but yes is copying the Ai to Id. tanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same versions as you—InDesign 18.2.1 and Illustrator 27.5, and it works with copying for me:

Illustrator:

Screenshot 2023-05-04 at 6.41.22 AM.png

InDesign:

Screenshot 2023-05-04 at 6.44.42 AM.png

Here are my InDesign Clipboard Preferences, do yours match:

Screenshot 2023-05-04 at 6.42.02 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it doesn't work with the same Clipboard preferences, you could try restoring your InDesign preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Steve, thanks for replying
I tried the options you proposed, it didn't work. I've already tested other gradients and they do the same thing,
the only one that remains unchanged when copied is black and white. Below I send 2 pictures, the gradient from blue to green is in the Ai and when copied and pasted in the Id they
are in other colors: black/white

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen in just one file or every time you try copying in any files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all files that have gradient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, I'll send you instructions for restoring InDesign preferences and caches because I strongly suspect that they might help:

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello
Sorry but due to the volume of work I was only able to respond today. I did the first action on the link you sent me and it solved my problem (see attached image) regarding the gradient. Thank you very much for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad that fixed your problem! Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious if you would expect the rockymountaintraining preferences reset to work with Illustrator 2024. I just installed all new CC this week but the copy from Illustrator paste into IND was working before or after the upgrade. And I know my preferences were reset with the upgrade.

I have a complex gradient in AI (all shades of gray). When I bring it into IND, it looks fine but you can't make a swatch or sample the gradeint to other objects. I created a simpler rainbow gradient for testing and discussion purposes. When brought into IND, either of these seems to have created a clipping mask that contains separate objects that appear to be filled with gradients but the color palette shows the color as ?. None of the separate gradients can ever be captured or displayed in the Swatches or Gradient pallettes. I did check and the "Prefer PDF when Pasting" preference is OFF> gradeint.jpgScreenshot 2023-10-20 at 10.54.50 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @DENISE23215445o8t5,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Can you share the version of InDesign & OS along with a sample Illustrator file for testing? We'll try our best to assist you with this.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"... the gradient from blue to green is in the Ai and when copied and pasted in the Id they
are in other colors: black/white"

Hm. Please attach an AI file with just a rectangle where this gradient is applied to.

I'd like to test your case. Thanks.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines