Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot copy text in specific InDesign document

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon,

I have downloaded an InDesign document from the Adobe Stock page and am now in the process of modifyig it to fit brand standards. Part of this requires copying and pasting. Any time I copy text, the program will freeze for a moment and then crash. I have updated to the most recent version of InDesign, cleared all preferences, updated Windows, etc, and no help. I am able to copy and paste text in any other document but this one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

For anyone who is also having this issue: the problem was something to do with paragraph styles. I changed one font to another, switched things around, didn't install the font the document was made in, etc. When I copied and pasted it confused and crashed the program. When I converted the document to an IDML and saved it as an INDD, it stripped all paragraph styling and I could then copy and paste again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it a template?  .indt file??

try to save it as IDML file first, the open the new IDML file, then copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is saved as an .indd file. 

I saved it as an IDML file and I was able to copy again, unfortuantely doing this messed with all my font sizes, types, and weights so I'd like to avoid this if at all possible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone who is also having this issue: the problem was something to do with paragraph styles. I changed one font to another, switched things around, didn't install the font the document was made in, etc. When I copied and pasted it confused and crashed the program. When I converted the document to an IDML and saved it as an INDD, it stripped all paragraph styling and I could then copy and paste again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"When I converted the document to an IDML and saved it as an INDD, it stripped all paragraph styling and I could then copy and paste again."

Hm. Any IDML roundtrip with the exact same version of InDesign like:

[1] Open InDesign document.

[2] Export IDML file.

[3] Open IDML file as InDesign document.

[4] Save to a new document with a new name.

should not change formatting of text at all.

What could happen is that a font is missing that was applied through a Document fonts folder somewhere else.

What also could happen is that placed images missing their preview images, because the original images are not available.

But if this process is removing styles either from the various styles panels or from the text, is a sign that the document in step [1] was damaged somehow.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines