• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot edit after reopening a document in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I reopen a document in InDesign, I cannot edit anything. Why is that and what can I do?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What platform - PC or Mac?

What version of the InDesign?

Do you work on local, network or cloud drive?

Have you upgraded InDesign recently? 

We are not mind readers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. PC

2. 16.2.1 x 64

3. Network

4. No

I guessed that you were mind readers, that's why I asked the way I did. 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Kistaraq Egede:

Check your Pages panel. If content was inadvertantly added to the parent page and not a body page, this would happen. When you close and reopen a file, it opens to the body pages. Parent page content would be visible but not editable. There are other reasons, but I'm guessing this is the issue.

~Barb

parent.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Kistaraq Egede,

Hope you're doing well!

We would like to follow up on your issue. Are you able to resolve the issue by following our expert advice? Please feel free to update the discussion if you need further assistance from us.

We would be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well. It acted like, I had made it in a master page. But I didn't. The masterpage was empty. It is not all my works, that does that. Only sometimes. And I haven't figured out why yet.

I found out that I could free the content one by one by SHIFT+CTRL+click, but I still don't know why they become that way. Can it have something to do with where the files are placed? The two, I had problems with, where placed not where I usually put my own stuff in. 1 on external drive and 1 in another network than where I usually put my work on.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can "free" objects by Ctrl+Shift+Click then - like @Barb Binder pointed out - your objects are on the Master Spreads.

And you should NEVER work on network drives - you should keep your INDD files locally - with links would be best - otherwise you risk corruption of the INDD file. 

Some may say that you can link to content on the network - but it will drastically slow your work. 

Network storage should only be used for backup and synchronisation purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, det masterpage was empty. I checked.

Well, at work we only are supposed to save on our network, so colleagues can access the file. So saving on internal drive is not an option. And most of my work has no problem with the network saving. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share your file?

You should work locally and backup remotely - network / cloud. 

Maybe you don't have problems NOW - but one day you'll learn the lesson the hard way 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot share my file. I don't have it with me right now.

Yes. I will do that in the future - word on an internal drive and autosave them somewhere else.

Thanks for your time to answer me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you have more than one mater page, and the relevant one is not showing inthe Pages Panel, Try scrolling thatt section to see if there are additional masters...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I checked my master pages. And I didn't open them, while I worked on these files because I knew, I didn't need to make master pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How your Layers panel looks like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The layers are not locked and I checked the master pages. They are not the problem. So I guess, it must be something to do about where I save my files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you sahre a sample file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Kistaraq Egede 

Did you resolve this?

Several forum experts have requested a sample file - can you provide this?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines